Chapter 5

My next class was creative writing. And if you thought that other teacher was crazy, just wait until you meet Ms. Jacky.

First of all, let me just start off with what she is wearing.

She has on a white long skirt with mini rainbows all over it, a green fuzzy sweater and a hat that looked like one of those plates of paint. And she reeked of old perfume.

And her hair color? literally rainbow. It starts with red at the roots, then orange, yellow, and so on.

She was about 50, and unlike any person I have ever met. And I've met Death.

Ms. Jacky was very welcoming, let me tell you that. She ushered everyone into the classroom, saying "Sit down children, sit down." She looked very happy to be here as well, and I found her smile to be contagious as one spread across my face.

Once everyone was settled, she began her very inspiring speech. "English is an art. Speaking, writing- heck, even typing- is like painting. Your words being your paint. You get to choose if your word is dull, bright, dark, loud, soft, etcetera! Expanding your vocabulary is like increasing your color pallet. The larger your dictionary, the more colorful your painting can be, understand?

"My job now, since I hope your vocabulary is already broad, is to teach you how to paint. I need to bring out your inner artist, and that is what I plan on doing this year."

She then continued with her little art banter, and before I knew it class was over. She may be bat shit crazy, but she sure is entertaining.

I was also very grateful that she did not take the liberty of introducing me to the class.

When the bell rang I picked up my bag and grabbed my schedule, looking to see what I had next.

That's when I saw the dreaded five letter word.

Lunch.

I sighed, sad that I hadn't made a friend yet and would have to sit in my car alone to eat. But before that, I had to make a trip to the cafeteria to buy food. Death, take me now.

I took my time walking through the crowded hallway, wanting to prolong the time before I was stared down in a room full of creepily attractive people.

Despite the hallway being crowded, most people steered clear from me, creating a very convenient but equally sketchy path for me to pass through.

But hey, who was I to complain?

Looking at the map for help, I finally made my way to the cafeteria. I took a deep breath, just listening to the loud chatter on the other side of the door, praying to God everyone would just ignore me and go on talking as they were.

Gathering all of the courage I could find, I pushed open the doors, realizing I forgot my wallet.

I laughed to myself, not really caring anymore about the people in the room before me, and shut the doors.

I am so stupid.

I walked as fast as I could to my jeep, thankful that lunch was an hour long instead of a usual 30 minutes as it was in my last school.

Finally, after grabbing my wallet and practically jogging back to the cafeteria due to my hunger, I opened those dreaded double doors once again.

The moment I passed through the door, all talking stopped. Even the old cashier ladies to my right had stopped what they were doing to look at me.

Considering my tardiness, most people had already gotten to their seats, and I was the only one standing, making things even more uncomfortable.

Feeling incredibly awkward for the second time today, I got in line, trying to ignore everyone around me. I grabbed a veggie burger and fries and paid the cashier lady, feeling even more embarrassed being the only one in line. I avoided eye contact with the cashier, only looking at her to mutter a quiet "thanks."