2

[Newt's P.O.V]

Once we heard the box hit the top, Winston and Gally open up the rusty old door while I jump in to pull up the greenie.

As usual, it was a boy, he looked no older than 16 and I could tell by his face that like any of us, he lost his memory as well.

"Day one greenie, rise and shine." I extend my hand and once he takes, I pull him up and out of the box. Once I do that, I start hearing all the commotion coming from the rest of the gladers surrounding the box.

"Look at that shank!"

"How old is he?"

"Looks like a klunk in a t-shirt."

"You're the klunk, shuck-face."

I look at the greenie who seems like he's about to klunk his pants at any minute. I take a deep breath and look at everyone with a stern gaze, "Alright everyone, slim it!" And with that everyone shuts their mouth and turn their heads towards me, "No one's allowed near the greenie until I'm done showing him around and teaching him the basics, you're all gonna have enough time from chit-chat during dinner, go back to your jobs for now."

I watch as each and every one of them go back to their designated job. I turn to the greenie, "I'm Newt, welcome to the glade."

~~~
[Thomas's P.O.V]

"The glade? What is this place?" He motions for me to follow him, "Let me show you."
He shows me around the whole glade, tells me about the jobs that I'll be trying and explains to me their three simple rules:

1. Never hurt another glader.

2. Everyone does their part.

3. Never go outside the maze, unless you're a runner.

After that he asks me if I remember anything at all and I shake my head, the only thing I can remember is my name, Thomas. He explains that the people they call "the creators" have sent them all here with their memories erased, trapped between the walls of the maze and that the runners have been looking for a way out for three years now but the maze changes every night which makes it harder.

While we're walking, I can't help but notice how Newt has a constant limp but he doesn't seem in pain or discomfort so it must be an old injury. I try my best not to ask him about it but curiosity gets the best of me and the words come out of my mouth before I even realize it, "Is something wrong with your leg?", he snaps his head toward me with a look of ...anger? ...sadness? ...regret? His face is filled with so many emotions at one time, "That's none of your business."

I feel bad about asking and I try apologizing but he just brushes it off and introduces me to a boy named Chuck who's gonna be in charge of my sleeping arrangements. With that, Newt leaves and heads off to the gardens stating that he has some work to finish.

~~~

[Newt's P.O.V]

I sigh for probably the millionth time today while tying off another vine to the pole in front of me. I shouldn't have snapped at the greenie like that. After all, he did nothing wrong. I'll probably apologize to him later on.

I shake my head and look at the doors of the maze. "Alby and Minho should've been back by now...What if something went wrong...? What if they got attacked by a griever...? "

Then, as if reading my thoughts, they both come running in, stopping right in front of the doors trying to catch their breath. I try to brush off the thought of something going wrong but the look on Alby's face tells otherwise.