Chapter Thirty-Six

Jed's POV

I leave Lyra early in the morning, after being certain that Lance was alert enough to watch over her sufficiently. He had slept a bit last night while I stayed with her, so even though he may not be refreshed he at least won't collapse with exhaustion.

I carried Lyra over to her bed and gently laid her down there, careful not to disrupt her. She had only woken once through the night, and she did so with a start, tears staining her cheeks. I stilled her by pulling her close, and she snuggled up to me, laying her head in my lap the rest of the night. I know what it's like to have night terrors after watching someone die.

Lyra spoke in her sleep sometimes, mumbling in distress the names of her Guards, especially Hana's, the man whom I am going to help retrieve. This only makes me want to go even more.

Lance informs me that I should go out of the hallway and continue to the seventh door to my left, as that room is occupied by Sam and to go out from there. He said there would be less Guards there than here- There are now five of them below Lyra's window, too many for me to sneak past.

"Sam's Guards are having their shift now. He made certain that they won't see you." He says from his place near Lyra's bedside.
By "see me," he means that the guards will look the other way and ignore me, not telling a soul of my passing. That's good news.

I nod a goodbye to Lance before going to the door and following instructions. The Guards posted outside are Prince Sam's men as expected, and they don't even glance at me as I exit.

I have to admit, the boy thinks ahead well. If it weren't for his quick mind, I'd have been stuck in Lyra's chambers for hours more until the guard changed. Not that I would have minded: I would have loved to be there when she wakes up, but I cannot afford to miss Sam when he sets out.

There is no one in the hallway and I find the door guarded by more of Sam's men. The Prince must have told them I would be coming, and to allow me to enter, because they too ignore me. I wonder what story he gave them, if he gave them any at all.

Inside of the room, I see the layout is similar to Lyra's: a large bed against the left wall, a tall wardrobe in the corner, and an adjoining room to what I assume is the bath. There are all sorts of furs and expensive things that I don't care for, but can't help but admire as I cross the thick, luxurious carpet. I notice that the bed is still made, the red satin sheets pulled and creased to perfection. There is no Sam present, leading me to believe that he must have not come to bed at all throughout the night.

I go to the window nearest the bed, opening it and peering down silently.

There are only two Guards on this side of the wall, one of which is sleeping and the other who is nearly there as well. I pull a black cloth from my pocket and tie it in front of my mouth, so no wisps of foggy breath escape to be seen by anyone. I use the cover of the still dark morning to creep down the wall silently, grateful for the skills that Kaladin taught me.

The dark cloak that I have tied and pulled around me blends with the still shadows of the wall, and I find it easier to climb down without the bow around me. My feet stand true and carry me down without slipping in the cold, finding each stone to take me safely to the ground.

Once I near the dust below, I stand still in the shadow of the castle. I cling to the wall silently for what must have been a half an hour, until the second Guard's chin touches his chest and deep breath follows. Using his sleep, I toe my way to the dirt several feet below, careful not to disrupt the stone with my boots. I creep away, flexing my frozen and cramping fingers, silently thanking God that I made it down so easily without sighting.