Chapter Forty-One

Lyra's POV

Early morning light washes through the windows, bathing everything with a pale air. Judging by the small amount that filters through the closed glass, I would say it is still very early. My legs are tangled in my blankets from a restless sleep, and I open my eyes to the sound of a comforting sort of crackling. It takes me a moment to realize the noise is coming from the fireplace, and as I roll over, I see a figure warming their hands by the flames. I can judge that the person is a man by how wide the shoulders are, and by the stance, wide and comfortable in its way.

Startled, I sit up, my hand slipping beneath my pillow, blindly searching for a knife that is not there. All that I am capable of thinking of is the man that lays half dead in my dungeon. Is this one of his friends, come to kill me? My heart is racing through my night dress as I stare at the man, watching as he turns his face slightly, sensing I am awake. Shadows cast upon his skin contort his profile, making it impossible for me to distinguish the entire face. "Relax, princess." He holds up a blade that flashes in the fire light, but the threat in my mind is gone with the easing tone.

I was holding my breath, but now I exhale and throw a pillow across the room, surprised at my own strength as it sails towards the fireplace. The man catches it without even turning his head fully. "Damn it, Kaladin! What the feck are you doing?" I keep my voice lowered, and I hadn't meant to, but a bit of gruffness returns to my voice, reminding me of my time with the mercenaries. I clear my throat to cover up my embarrassment at the crack.

He chuckles softly, and rises from the hearth of the fireplace, rolling the hilt of my knife between his fingers. "I was checking on you."

I relax, placing a hand over my heart, and taking a breath. "You should really stop scaring me."

He stops several paces away, and flips the dagger so the handle is facing me. I slowly reach to take it from him. "It was far too easy for me to steal it from right under you. Your guard was down." I try to ignore the itching question as to why he had felt the need to take it in the first place.

"I was sleeping, were my eyes supposed to be open?" I slide the weapon back under my pillow, comforted to have it back within reach.

After my mother's visit last night, Lance and I had retired for some rest, no longer in the mood to read. Lance wanted to sleep in my chambers again to guard me closely, but I refused, insisting that he needed to sleep in an actual bed. He complied, too tired to argue properly, saying that he would check on me in the morning. There are three Guards posted at the outer door of my chambers, and Camisêal is sleeping on a cot outside of my inner door. He'd said he would be fine to stand and keep watch, but I had a bed brought in for him, anyhow. He had been far more exhausted than he let me believe, and I could read it on his face. Training the new Guards had drained him, and he deserved a proper night's sleep.

I'd managed to fall asleep, to my surprise, my heavy lids pulling my mind under as I pondered over my brother's words. He already loves you. The words echo again, spinning like a lunging horse around my brain, trying to wrap around it.

"You should always be on guard, especially now that you are being hunted. The attacks have slowed for now, but not for long, I think. You have a weak spot in your protection, and it needs to be filled quickly. I'll be joining your Guard to help with that gap."

My eyes widen, shaking me from my thoughts. "You're doing what? If the King finds out-" I pray that he is joking, as his words sound ludicrous. If it is found that a Guard of the princess is a mercenary, he would be hanged for certain.

Kaladin had been rocking on his heels, and now he paces the floor before my bed, arms linked behind his head. "You need to convince your friend next door, and that Prince of yours, to say nothing about my face. As for the king, he will believe, along with everyone else, that I am a nobleman." He is referring to Lance, who is being lodged in the room next to mine by my request. Sam had allowed it while he is absent, at least.