Chapter Nineteen

Princess Lyra Baudry's POV

The journey back seems to take an eternity, and all the while I refuse to acknowledge Lance.

We ended up meeting and traveling back to Nordic with several of my personal guard that had set out to find me as well.

I find myself missing my old company, especially that of Jed. Why does he seem to care so much for me? I can't figure it out, even after a five day ride of chasing thoughts around my head.

"Princess?"

I look over at my favorite and head guard, Hana. His tunic is dirty and he looks disheveled from his travels, with stubble bristling on his jaw, but is still handsome.

"Yes?"

Hana is in his mid-thirties, with golden hair down to his shoulders that is half pulled up with a leather tie. He wears my yellow and blue colors faithfully, an carries a sword at his hip, a bow and a quiver on his back. And knowing Hana, he probably also has hidden daggers on his person as well.

When we were reunited, he told me that he and his men had ridden hard most of the days and nights, trying to find me as the king instructed.

He didn't want to hunt me down, but I know that he was only doing his duties. If he were to disobey them, without me there to prevent it, he would be hanged.

"How are you feeling?" He asks, pulling his waterbeast next to mine. All important personnel in Nordic own and ride their own beats. You could say, as many others do, that we are known as the Horse Lords.

I force a smile. "I'm fine. But one thing that I don't understand is why you and the rest of my men don't escort me back. There is hardly reason for Prince Samson to have to neglect his kingdom longer." I mainly say this because I want that party to depart, Lance along with them... I cast a glance at my brother, and my heart softens towards him.

I am being unfair. He, like Hana, was only doing his duty. As second ranking knight, he has to do what the prince tells him... even if he did fake an injury to lure me from Lasreal, so that it made it easier for them to catch me.

I watch as Lasreal tries to steal a nip at Cortana, Hana's mount. She squeals and lands a bite at his neck, her brown coat shining in the sun. We had left the trees behind and are now riding through the long spread of open turf that separates the woods from my kingdom.

Only one more days ride until we reach Nordic.

Prince Sam rides up from behind, having heard his name in conversation. "Because, your father sent for me, and my father would not allow me back without fulfilling this task."

I snort in response and Lasreal pins his ears and lunges for the white beast. I hardly bother to stop him.

Sam sighs and kicks his mount, moving back to his original spot in front.

-
Queen Alandra's POV

I wake with a smile on my face this morning, and reach over to touch my husband's hand.

He rolls over to look at me, and his brows are drawn in annoyance at first, then he opens his eyes and smiles.

"She is coming back today."

He nods and makes to get out of bed. "Well then we must prepare, should we not? I will send to wake the house, and we will prepare a feast, and have a ball prepared for her return!" He says, his dark eyes bright with excitement.

I did what I said that I would, and I did it well. I told him he needed to change... and using a bit of influence on him, he had begun to treat people more kindly, and forgive more.

Now I am hoping that with our daughter's return, that he will have more than just a change in kindness, but a change of heart.

-

Lyra's POV

The beautiful white stone rears up in front of us, and I look up at the castle with nervousness.

What will my mother think of me after being gone for so long? What will they do when they see that my hair is gone, and learn that I had faked becoming a boy? My father will not like that.

"Miss Lyra, are you alright?" Hana asks, a hand resting on his sword hilt comfortably as he looks at me.

"I'm alright, just a little nervous." I assure him, looking ahead and swallowing. My grip on the reigns had been tight and my body tense since we set out this morning.

Lance looks over his shoulder at me, his brown eyes shining. 'Relax, all will be well little one.'

My eyes mist a bit at his interaction, though I am the one who had been ignoring him, it still feels infinitely better to have him speak to me.

I stop my nervous trembling and smile at him. 'I can do this.' I mentally prepare myself as my beautiful kingdom comes close into our view.

I will do this.

-------------

Oh wow... thanks so much for those comments guys... I love you too my amazing readers! Your comments are my inspiration for writing this, and am SO glad you all like it.

Keep the love coming, I can't get enough! :)
A picture of Nordic, even though its a picture of Minas Tirith from The Lord of the Rings, if your a major dweeb like me and love it... And the Hobbits... nerds untie!! *fist pump*
-A