Chapter Three

We spent to much time there.

As we gallop away, Lasreal's long mane teases my face with licks of salt.

I stare ahead, thinking of where we should be headed. I haven't quite figured that part out yet, I'm afraid, and feel idiotic for not mapping this entire escape plan out. I decide to steer around the next town, which isn't for a days ride, but we will skip it to remain unseen for a while. I do not hear a pursuit this time, as the search party had most likely stopped to rest their mounts and themselves.

I think about the sound of the horn that had sounded as we left, and I wonder momentarily if my father had come with them. Who else would they find important enough to blow the imperial horn for? I don't think father cares enough to look for me, not when his men can do the dirty work for him. I don't doubt that he did send a party after me, because it will look good to the people. Believe it or not, my citizens like me.

If we're lucky, whoever it was may even spend the night there and head out at first light, instead. Either way, it gives us time and ground to cover, so I press my thoughts into Lasreal's, and he gets his stride back to full swing with my command. We need to get as far ahead as possible.

The gait on a Vann Hest is much smoother than any horse, and even a trot is as smooth as the sleepy sea. Most of the time, I can hardly tell when Lasreal moves from one gait to another, if it wasn't for the change of his usual breakneck speed.

Vann Hest are meant to move quickly, and they have stamina lengths impossible for any horse. If it were a normal steed I am riding, he would surely break a leg on the holes and tree roots that lay nestled on the forest floor. With legs as long and sturdy as Lasreal's, together we fly like angels through the morning mist.

I'm not sure how long we had been going before my stomach had started to complain, so when I find a safe enough spot, we take a rest. I unwrap the bread that I bought and break off a piece, then put the rest away, back into my satchel.

Grabbing the bow, I hop off of the rock that I had been sitting on, and stand, looking into the trees around us to listen.

Back when I was young, I had a good friend who taught me to hunt, use a bow, and to fight using swordplay. Of course my father detested this, but it kept me from pestering him about other things, so he allowed it. I still remember the day that started it all.

-Flash back-

He had found me crying in the stable, and he asked me what was wrong.

I wiped my eyes and sniffed violently, and looked up at him. "I'm so useless," I said. "I can't do anything!"

He sat on the bale of hay next to me and put an arm around my shoulder, shaking his head. "Oh, no Lyra, you're amazing as you are." Lance was much older than me, about fourteen, but he treated me like I was an adult.

I shake my head. "No, I have no skills, nothing that could be benefited to anyone, none of the people!" I was never short to mention the people I could be helping. I had started to tear up again.

Lance took my chin and held it so I had to look up at him. "Would you like to learn some?" I can still remember his kind brown eyes and warm smile.

I nodded vigorously, eager for the chance to learn something useful that I could teach someone else.

He nodded then pulled me close to squeeze me tightly. He was more of a father to me than the King. "Then come, I will teach you something each year you grow, until you can perfect them."

I was only eight, but I was never so grateful for anything in my life.

But the day came that Lance was finally old enough to be enlisted into my father's army, as he tried to overthrow others to gain more land, more power.