Chapter Forty-Six

I stare into a pair of amber colored eyes and they gaze back with interest.

The black dog seems to raise her brow at me as she pants, holding my gaze with her own. I've decided to name her, since my father never did, but at this point in her life, I am not sure that it will make a difference if she has a name or not. Either way, she is now called Sage, for the wise, knowing look she is giving me currently.

She is too intelligent for a dog, and I will stick by that. When I speak around her, she tilts her head as if trying to understand what I say, and she seems to be able to read my body language and emotional patterns with a keen sharpness. I know of many people who cannot even do such things, yet she does it as if it was completely natural to her.

This is the second day that Sage has been in my company, and aside from trips out doors for the restroom with a Guard, she hasn't left my side. I've decided to teach her how to sit, stay, and come, all of which she mastered in one day. In a foreign tongue.

I've always wanted to train an animal in a language other than my own, so that others do not now which command I have given. That, and if they do not know that particular language, they cannot try and control the dog by giving commands against me for themselves. I find that it may be useful to train her in a handful of other things, too, if she is to be my first line of defense.

As soon as I rise to my feet, Sage stands with me, immediately sticking like static to my side. I do not know what possessed my father or the other trainers to believe this dog to be vicious, she's been the most well behaved animal I've seen. So far, though, Sage hasn't listened to any other people aside from me, and pays no mind to any of them if they call her. Lance tried to pet her the first day, and she growled at him. The way she is so intent and already so quick to give me her loyalty, it is almost like she was made for me specifically. I know of no magic that can do this, but it appears to be so.

I look at Sage and hold a hand out, drawing the lower half of a circle in the air in front of her face. "Sage, sette seg."

The giant dog immediately sits back down, long tail brushing the floor beneath her with easy strokes of happiness.

I narrow my eyes at her, but scratch Sage's head approvingly. "Good girl." I step back and watch her quizzically, analyzing her. She hasn't the mind of a dog. Sage thinks nothing of food if it is not given to her directly, and obeys my commands flawlessly once they are learned. Not only does she look unlike any dog breed I've seen, but her intelligence is also staggering for any animal.

I look across the library at Lance, who is sitting in a chair at a long table, a book in his grasp. I used to all but ignore this room, but now I seem to be spending more and more of my increasingly abundant free time here.

"Draw your sword a moment, point the blade in my direction." I say, dragging Lance's attention to me.

He seemed to be only half attentive to his readings, and looks up at me with a scratch to the stubble on his cheek. "Why is that, so that new pet of yours can take my neck off of my shoulders?"

I sigh, resting a hand on Sage's head. "I need to know if this will work, I won't let her harm you. You aren't frightened, are you, brother?" I tease, making my face into a pout.

Lance feigns a vexed expression, but I see the smile beneath his beard. "Of course not. Here." He reaches to the weapon at his side and clicks it free from it's sheath, russet eyes darting to the animal at my feet with caution. I've a feeling that he fully prepared to use his weapon, should the need arise.

Sage immediately perks her ears at the metallic sound, her attention completely trained on Lance. I glance down to see her hackles rise steadily, and a growl begins to rumble out of her chest ferociously.