9: Places

"We'd like to congratulate our first place winner!", Natasha announced exaggeratedly, like a TV show host of some sort. Thor stood behind Torunn, his hands holding on to her shoulders. Jane couldn't help her smile, she was grinning like an idiot. And Thor couldn't be any prouder. She showed the cocky boys who's boss, and proved that someone besides a Rogers or Stark could take charge. The feeling in his gut grew warmer, Torunn was a leader.

Victoria squealed next to her, smiling because of her friend's current status. Yes, they won. Yes, their parents were proud. Yes, it felt good to win. And yes, it felt right that people weren't constantly bothering you with questions about your dad. The people she was currently surrounded by didn't care that she was the billionaire's only daughter.

Thor decided Victoria will be a great friend to Torunn. She didn't have many, unlike Francis, due to her only interests being training and the sake of her world. Many girls back in Asgard weren't like Torunn, they chased after boys and they never gave armor a fashionable thought. And now here, she felt like she actually connects with Victoria.

Like Torunn, she didn't have many friends. She was "too much into science", and was "nerdy". Yet, the "cool" kids were always inviting her to parties and outings, seeing as she was Tony Stark's daughter. It always took a long time to find someone who didn't give a shit about your social status. Victoria was even told once, by her crush, "you're quirky and weird, but in the cutest way possible".

That was the closest thing she had to an actual connection with a boy. Sure, she did have a few, but almost every one of them wanted to get into her huge stash of money.

Torunn did also have a few lovers, only a few though. Most boys were intimidated by Thor, with his tall frame and all. Unlike Victoria, she actually held a bond with those few. Well, the ones that were brave enough to ask for permission from Thor. Ah, Asgardian boys were the best.

Everyone took their place at the table, servants already placing plates at their mats. Italian food it seemed.

"So I'm guessing Victoria is in second place?", Tony tried to nonchalantly bring up the subject. He knew where everyone stood on the race, but it was a requirement that the rest of the places were not to be revealed. They didn't want the rest of the kids to feel like a failure. Yes, it was a tough competition, but that's how they decided to keep it.

For now, Tony wanted to know their reactions. Torunn nudged Victoria, happy that her friend was right next to her in second place. Only Francis perked his head up, he was really competitive. Tony gave James a long look. Was this an act? Did he really not care what place he was in?

It took him by surprise, um hello, his dad is Captain America.

Luke didn't even bother, he was still embarrassed about the whole thing. His father didn't give him a disappointing look, instead he patted his back, smiling. "Good job", he told him. Bruce wasn't one for a lot of affection, so the gesture really touched Luke.

Clint smiled in awe at Francis, immediately hugging him and congratulating him at the same time even though he didn't win. Laura hugging him closer. Although Clint never quite told her who Francis's mom was, she loved him like he was all her own. She did raise him herself. And it warmed her heart every time he called her mom. Yes, he knew she wasn't, but the fact that he still decided to call her that brought many tears of joy to her eyes.

"I'm guessing", Luke shrugged. After all, she was the one that diffused the bomb. He was cool with Torunn winning, she sacrificed herself for Victoria. After the fight, the first thing he did was go over and apologize if he was too rough or got carried away. After a light hug, she assured him that she was okay. That move really impressed everyone, no one saw it coming.