12: Building Up

After they all shared some stories, some good, and some not so good, each member of the team slowly started to doze off.

"Look who fell asleep", James motioned with his chin over at Francis's sleeping figure. The boy slept on his side, the blankets pulled up all the way over his head.

"I'm surprised. He's so talkative", commented Luke as he snuggled more comfortable into his bed. His eyelids were beginning to get heavy, and his breathing slower. He checked the small clock over the wall, it read 10:55 P.M. They'll turn off the lights in no time.

Next it was Torunn, who'd been yawning the last hour.

"No surprise there", Victoria giggled as everyone turned their heads to see her friend sound asleep. Torunn was curled into her side, the sheets reaching up to her chin. Her blond hair spread out behind her.

As the last five minutes slowly ticked off on the clock, the remaining members settled on their beds, ready for sleep to overcome them.

-

That morning it wasn't one of the parents talking into the intercom that woke them up, no, it was the harsh and almost blinding lights of the hospital that did.

"Ow!", Luke jumped right on his bed, rubbing his tired eyes from sleep and to keep away the light. "That's bright", he whined as he laid back down. Maybe he could catch fifteen more minutes of sleep.

The rest of them groaned once Tony made his presence known in the room. "Up! Up! C'mon!", he obnoxiously clapped all around the room.

"Nooo", Torunn mumbled into her pillow. Why couldn't they understand that she needed her sleep?

"It's early. We should be sleeping", Francis scoffed. He sat up in bed, still kind of sleepy. He didn't feel anything. He didn't feel anything. The chest pain was gone! All of it! Gone! The sleep wore off right away once he discovered that he could now breathe like a normal person.

"You can sleep after school", Tony stated as he walked over to Victoria's side. She was in the state of consciousness and unconsciousness.

Failing to be gentle, he harshly pried away the sheets from her body.

"Hey!", she snapped, suddenly becoming cold and grumpy.

"Get up Vicky", he laughed before walking out of the room, his footsteps ringing throughout the tiny hospital.

Right as Tony turned the corner, Steve walked in, dressed in work out clothes. This was very normal, Steve worked out every morning. His knuckles were wrapped in bandages.

"You are to report back to your rooms and get ready for school", everyone noticed he was using his drill sergeant voice. "You will come down to breakfast at the same time. Since training is canceled, you will have homework", he finished off. His expression today seemed cold and taut, almost strict.
Everyone hesitantly got off their beds, already missing the comfortable sheets between their fingers and the soft cotton mattress beneath them.

The kids followed Steve behind, almost in a line. Something about the super soldier just made this seem kind of right.

Once up the stairs, everyone separated to go into their separate rooms.

Still, no one said a word. They'd fell comfortable speaking yesterday, mainly because everyone was in the same state. Injured. No one could really break out a fight even if they wanted to.

Torunn brushed her teeth right away, like the rest of them did, and slipped right on the shower. Training yesterday left her really sweaty and she couldn't wait to wash off that icky feeling.