20: Accents

The mission was decided to be set two weeks following the incident at the ball, in order to not raise any suspicions.

"How are we even supposed to communicate over there?", Francis asked the group. He was already shivering at the thought of the cold, huge country.

"I speak Russian, dude", James laughed as he blocked one of Jason's swords.

"I know a bit", he added as he strapped the swords back to their sheaths and took James one on one.

"I speak Russian too", Veronica piped in as she worked on a tiny missile.

"So do I", Victoria wasted no time at all to add in to the conversation.

"Are you serious? Are Torunn and I the only ones that don't speak Russian?", Francis complained.

"And me!", Luke said as he stood up from tying his shoes. "Don't understand one bit".

"I can help you", Veronica offered, smirking as she cocked her head towards his direction.

"Yeah, Veronica Smithson wasted no time at all", Victoria snickered as she snatched Veronica's missiles and added her features to it.

"I'm just friendly", she said, rolling her eyes and taking her missile back.

"Don't set that off in here!", James called out as she and Luke began to walk out of the training ground and out the door. Not like they needed any more private time.

"The mission is tomorrow", Torunn said to herself, not aware that anyone else was listening.

"Obviously", Francis laughed.

"We fly out today in order to land tomorrow. Pack heavily, its cold out there", James recited off the orders Steve told him to deliver.

Torunn heard parts of it. She was physically here but her mind wandered off somewhere. She was still thinking about her dad. Why was he taking so long? It was only a matter of investigation.

"Got it, Torunn?", James checked in.

"Huh? I beg your pardon, I was not listening", she confessed.

She fiddled with her sword.

"You'll be paired up with Francis for the mission, with his bad ear and all", he teased as he lightly punched Francis's shoulder.

"Not funny", he said rolling his eyes.

"Where exactly are we going anyway?", Jason asked.

James pondered for a bit. Clint mentioned the location, he just couldn't recall.

"Dr. Ulrich's lab", Victoria answered for him, mentioning the dead man's name.

"Wait!", Francis scratched at the side of his head. "Who named you two leaders?".

The kids "ohh"ed. They'd totally forgotten about their little contest.

"No one", James shrugged.

"Its a Stark thing", Victoria smirked.

"Right", Jason laughed, sneaking a kick to James's calf.

The two then began to spar for the millionth time that day even though Clint told them stop thirty minutes ago.

Today they had to go back to the Tower, suit up, and aboard the Quinjet to fly the long hours to Russia. Whatever, whoever, was there, clearly wanted to remain isolated and ignored.

-

Torunn awoke with a jolt. Her heart was accelerating and beads of sweat dripped down her face. Her blonde hair was sticky at her neck and her sword felt weird at her fingertips.