The Faeyrwynn Prophecy: Chapter One

"All eyes on me in the center of the ring just like a circus! When I crack that whip everybody gon' trip just like a circus!"

  I groaned, running my hands through my messy hair. How could it be 5:30 already?

  Grumbling, I reached out to turn the blasted alarm clock off as it blared an annoying Britney Spears song. I fumbled around stretching farther and farther, trying to reach it. Just as my fingers brushed the textured plastic, I tumbled over the edge of my bed.

  With a thud I landed on the  floor, extremely aware of how cold it was. I swore colorfully, untangling myself from the sheets. Miraculously, and after a good five minute struggle, I found the off button at last.     Whew.

  Already I didn't like this place. It was just too foreign to me. I trudged down the hall, trying to remember where the bathroom was. After opening two linen closets and a spare room, I remembered. Oh right...that door, I thought groggily.

  I cautiously went through my morning routine, wary of any more surprises. Today I'd be starting my senior year of high school. More importantly, my senior year of high school...in England. So I guess I should refer to it as Sixth Form, or something like that. No matter how many times my aunt had tried to explain the school system around here, it still never clicked.

  Before moving here, I lived in good ol' America. Phoenix, Arizona to be exact. But when my uncle was promoted to run a new office, we immediately moved overseas. So I've been here for a grand total of two weeks. Uncle Greg was a busy man, and the engineering company he worked for had expanded rapidly in the last few years. Him, my aunt Claire, and I had moved six times since I were little. I should be used to it by now.

  We now resided in the quaint little town of Trenton, a small little township where everyone grew up together. It would be a lot harder to fade into the background with such a high concentration of students. Which was just great for me, I thought sarcastically. Just what I needed, thanks oh so much.

  Immediately  though, I regretted that last thought. My aunt and uncle were doing the best that they could for me, right? Raising me was their choice after The Accident. Or better known to my personal history: The Day My Mom Died. Being only three years old I didn't remember much, but it was enough to give me nightmares occasionally. Both hands gripping the marble counter, I stared at my reflection, thinking back to that day.

~

  We were driving down a popular highway, and it was beautiful outside. I remember how my mother let me roll the windows down, and how the warm breeze ruffled what little hair I had. The sunshine lit up the backseat, turning the plain gray leather a buttery yellow. I had been playing with little wooden blocks, with strange designs carved into them in swirling colors.

  My mom was talking excitedly about something or another, but my toddler mind was focused on more important matters: those intriguing little blocks.

  I was twirling a bluish green block around in my hand, when the car jerked violently and a monstrous crashing noise filled my ears. I felt myself being jerked forward, the  seatbelt of my safety chair straining to keep me from flying through the windshield.

  I can still clearly remember my mom, the center of my little universe, cry out in pain as the windshield popped and exploded, spraying glass everywhere as we spun off the side of the rode and into a ditch.

...Silence. 

  Something warm dribbled from my left eye down to my chin, and I tried to blink it away, but couldn't. What was going on..? Frustrated, I tried to undo the clasp that kept me in my seat.

   I couldn't see half of the car unless I turned my head. Alarmed, I cried out in frustration, my eye stinging. Sirens blared, sounding closer and closer with each slow second.

  "Mom! Mommy..?"  I called out for her over and over, but she never replied. Was she mad at me? Was this my fault? What was happening?

Where was she?

  Anguished, I kept calling, my eye burning and tears mixing with the blood on my face.

~

  I winced at the memory, grimacing at myself in the mirror. I straightened my clothes, double checking my appearance. I flicked a few locks of dirty blond hair into place, trying to make my hair less of an unruly mess. Leaning forward, I made sure I was free of irritating blemishes or remnants of toothpaste.

  Satisfied, I smiled wryly back at my reflection, turning to spritz some cologne on. First impressions were always important to me, and if I was lucky I'd be able to blend in. It would be challenge though, afterall, new countires were different.

  Bounding down the stairs quietly, I grabbed my jacket and wallet. I was halfway out the door when I remembered my school ID. Plucking it off the table, I snagged the new house key as well. Pulling the lanyard on, I started off down the sidewalk. I glanced at the little plastic card curiously.

                   "Seth Reyne, Sixth Form

                         Trenton High School

                                 ID #158242"

  Next to that, the school's coat of arms was printed in full color.

With a sigh, I walked to school, taking in the quiet morning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Yes, my town is COMPLETELY fictional, I have no idea if it actually exists. So if it does, and it's some grand city, I apologize. Thanks to all who helped me with covers, and please give me some feed back. It's all a rough draft so far, and I's appreciate whatever criticism you may have. I'm giving this story plenty of background before the adventure begins, so just sit tight. Oh, and I'm always looking for good chapter music, so feel free to comment and recommend.

(8.8.12) Edited this chapter again, added more as well here and there. Hopefully it's a little bit better. Yes, I am aware of the alarm clock cliche. No, I won't be changing it.

<3