The Faeyrwynn Prophecy: Chapter Seven

Stepping into the suspended curtain of water, I was enveloped in the most peculiar sensation I'd ever experienced. It was as if every nerve in my body had been submerged in ice, and then set on fire. As odd as it felt, there was no pain.

And then it was over, a split second later, as I emerged on the other side. The landscape had changed drastically. Instead of facing the underside of the jagged cliff face, I was surrounded by tall black trees. It was very dark, but streaks of luminescent neon traced each feature of the strange forest. The lights pulsed to their own rhythms, casting a multi-colored glow that illuminated my surroundings.

I looked around in wonder, before realizing I was alone. Or so I thought, before Meila emerged from a tangle of vines laced between a cluster of thin, black, trees. Her pale face was tinged a delicate pink as she closed the distance between us and stopped about a foot and half in front of me.

"Welcome," she said solemnly.

"Are we?" I asked, trailing off as I gestured to our surroundings.

"Yes," she replied, answering my unspoken implication. "We have entered the Fey Realm," she continued, her wings twitched every now and then, and I could tell she was anxious to keep moving.

"We must go," she said firmly, confirming my thoughts. She turned to leave, but I grabbed her arm. Startled by the sudden contact, she stared at me.

"Wait," I pleaded. "What exactly am I here to do?" I waited, studying her face. Meila stared pointedly at my hand, which still grasped her thin forearm. Quickly, I let go, focusing on the ground as my face flushed.

"As for your exact mission, that is for the Eldest to determine. But these forests are unsafe, and our enemy has struck battles throughout. It is imperative that we reach The Grounds, for we cannot interfere with the fights- you are not yet ready."

I nodded, even though I could barely understand most of what she was trying to explain. I scanned the trees, listening for any sounds of battle. But I heard nothing, and the forest was eerily still.

"I know you're still very confused, Seth, but we need to keep moving. We must reach The Grounds in three days time. You need to begin your training in time for the Winter Solstice," she continued, her voice tinged with urgency.

I nodded again, and Meila added, "I can answer your questions on the way."

And with that she began to walk again, weaving between thicker clusters of thin black trees. She moved quickly, and I had to pick up my pace to keep up. Lights from the trees, bushes, and vines painted her an assortment of bright colors. Numerous shades of yellow, pink, and blue danced across the swirls of her skin. Watching Meila pick her way through the forest was like watching a dancing mosaic, her tiny swirls in constant motion. Her wings had folded themselves against her back, which made it easier to follow her closely without being sliced to ribbons.

The ground lit up with every step, glowing for a moment before darkening again. After several quiet minutes, I decided it was time to find out more.

~Meila~

"So," he began. I waited for his questions as I lead him through the Forest of Light. "Who has my mother?" he finally asked.

I hesitated before answering him, unsure of how to explain it.

"She was taken fifteen years ago, on the eve of the Summer Solstice, by the Grym," I said carefully. "They ambushed her car, forcing her to swerve in the wall," I paused, letting my words sink in. Seth was quiet behind me, no doubt remembering the crash from a much more personal point of view