The Faeyrwynn Prophecy: Chapter Eight

A/N: For some reason this chapter dissapeared overnight. Sorry for the confusion, guys. Hope this doesn't double upload :/ Anyways, chapter nine is 1/3 (it's longer than usual) written now, just gotta finish it up and type it.

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~

            I stretched, leaning back and yawning. The fire continued to burn low, despite the wood I had added earlier.  Beside me, Meila stirred awake, shedding her blankets slowly. Rubbing her eyes, she sat up. A panicked expression began to develop as she saw how light the sky was.

            “I overslept!” she cried in despair. As the sky brightened, the forest’s lights began to dim.

            “Oh, it’s fine,” I said easily, shrugging.  I hadn’t really noticed, and I wasn’t sure how the whole shift-thing worked anyway.

            “I’m sorry! Usually I wake up on time,” She lamented, her wings quivering in distress. She kept apologizing profusely as she flitted about the campsite, and I suppressed the urge to smile.  Meila was almost comical the way she fretted about the place, and it was strange to see her off her guard. After a few moments, a small smile slipped out.

            “What?” She demanded, her hair in disarray.

“Nothing, nothing,” I said defensively, stifling a chuckle as Meila continued to repack the supplies. Earlier in the morning I had found a river, so I picked up the spare clothes from the druids and headed in that direction.

“Where are you going?” She asked, confusion intermingling with concern.

“Just going to wash up, found a river a little ways over there,” I said, gesturing to the trees.

Meila nodded, but the worry never left her eyes.

“Be careful,” She said after a moment, before focusing her attention on nursing my fire back to health.

I picked my way through the forest, and soon heard the sound of rushing water.  A few more steps, and the river was before me again.

The first time I had found it I was a little farther upstream, but it didn’t matter.  The water itself looked normal enough, and it was clear and calm, reflecting the sky like a liquid mirror. It was about five yards wide at most, and dark trees hung over the opposite bank.

I knelt close to the edge, cupping water into my hands and splashing it onto my face and neck. The water was cool and refreshing, and I bathed quickly, rinsing away the grime of the forest. I tugged on the clothes quickly, and ducked back under the cover of trees.

Returning to the camp, I found Meila cooking over a decently sized fire.  Whatever it was, it smelled heavenly as I stepped into the clearing.

She was crouching low next to the fire, humming as she stirred a pot. I watched as she dished out the unknown food onto two large plates, preening her wings as she did so.

“Hey,” I greeted her, announcing my presence even though I had a feeling she already knew exactly where I was. She stood, offering one of the plates heaped with food. I took it gratefully, and took a seat against the tree I spent the night at.

The food consisted of chunky goo, which resembled oatmeal. Mixed in with it were darker chunks of something, dotted with what I assumed to be spices.

“What is this, anyway?” I asked, shoveling a forkful into my mouth hungrily.

“Fried kell with spiced avo,” she replied, digging into her own food. Of course, I had no idea what it was exactly, but I didn’t care. I hadn’t eaten since lunch yesterday, and I was starving.