The Faeyrwynn Prophecy: Chapter Fourteen

Author's Note: 

Hey guys, I've finally uploaded! Sorry to have kept you waiting. I've been having a rough time with real life, so yeah. Enjoy!

...And before you start reading, a quote:

"Love me today,

Love me tomorrow,

Love me forever,

And without sorrow"

~Annonymous

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Ignoring Meila’s icy glare, I picked her up, pulling her into a fierce bear hug.

“Get off!” she complained, wriggling free of my embrace.

“You’re back,” I said simply, grinning like a little boy. Her expression softened before hardening back into its serious mold.

“My business is none of your concern,” she said stiffly. I knew she was right, but it was unfair that everyone knew but me. Once again, my curiosity got the best of me.  Summoning a false pretense, I asked anyways nonchalantly.

“But who was he?”

Meila’s eyes widened in surprise at my audacity. Her pale hands clenched into tiny fists by her side, and her nostrils flared. The silence of the library seemed deafening as I waited for her reply.

“He… he…” she faltered for a second, and the fight went out of her. Her shoulders slumped and her blue eyes looked glassy, and for the first time she looked very small. Vulnerable.

“Hey, I’m sorry Meila…” I consoled her, feeling terrible for upsetting her. Whoever he was, he meant a lot to her. Hesitantly, I rested my hand on her waist, turning her around and leading her out of the library.

“C’mon, lets get some fresh air,” I said quietly. A part of me was surprised she even listened, let alone keep contact with her. Meila’s wings shifted quietly, they sounded like tissue paper as we walked slowly out the doors and down past the barn.  I made a beeline to a younger tree off to the side; it’s leaves flaring a brilliant orange.

Shrugging my jacket off, I laid it down over the damp grass. It had rained the night before, and the air was cool. I sat down, and Meila wordlessly following suit and sitting beside me. She was surprisingly close again, our legs touching. I suppose it no longer bothered her at this point.

Meila sighed, resting her head against the tree with her eyes closed. For a second it was like old times again, a world away, back in Trenton during our lunch hour. Though there were some things I had missed, my aunt and uncle mainly, I preferred this world.

I was a new person here, or at least a better version of myself. I felt powerful. Needed.

I had a purpose.

Beside me, Meila spoke up finally.

~Meila~

“He was a soldier,” I started, my throat constricting with unshed tears as I spoke. His image reappeared behind my eyelids, his familiar grin making my heart ache dully.

I swallowed, continuing.

“Drake served under my father’s Court. He was very adept, mastering anything his instructors gave him in a matter of months. We used to compete with one another when I was little. He was my best friend…”