Chapter Four

A few days later, Bella and I walked downstairs to see Charlie and his friend, Harry Clearwater, talking in the kitchen. They were getting ready to go fishing. Harry and I exchanged knowing glances, but I knew he didn't judge me.

     Hopefully, he had heard about my family...

     "I'm worried about leaving you two alone," Charlie said to Bella, his arm around her shoulders. Red came go her cheeks and I chuckled.

     "I'm not alone. Aubrey is here, dad. Wouldn't you rather us be together to protect each other?" she asked quietly.

     "Oh, yeah. Aubrey, where is Emmett? Maybe he could...hang out with you guys while we're gone?" Charlie raised his eyebrows hopefully. I shook my head and his face dropped.

     "Sorry, Charlie. Hey, that rhymed! Anyway, he's in Alaska for a couple weeks to visit our family and our Denali cousins. But don't worry, I'll take good care of our girl," I laughed, nudging Bella side. She looked at me and I realized I hadn't told her where Emmett was.

     "Yeah, dad. We'll pig out and watch movies. Maybe we'll go to Port Angeles or something. I'll let you know. Hey, you guys be careful out there!" Bella said seriously, pointing a finger in his face.

     "Bears won't get the drop on me, girls. My Kung-Fu is strong," Harry chuckled. We laughed and saw them off.

///////

     Later that day, it had started raining. I groaned and wished my family was here; it was a perfect day for baseball. I clicked PLAY on the new movie Bella put in and she sat next to me.

     "Aubrey, would you mind if I went to...see Jacob?" she asked timidly. I dropped the remote and it landed on the hard wood floor with a thud. I whipped my head around to face her.

     "Bella, that's not a good idea. You know I can't go with you to protect you if something happens. The treaty doesn't just apply to the Cullen's, especially since they're gone. It applies to me, too, and my family when they come back." I was trying not to panic and tell her too much.

     "I know... But I'll call you and put you on speaker phone the whole way there and back. I promise! Nothing will happen to me, okay?" She laughed and held up her pinky. I sighed and nodded, linking my smallest finger with hers.

////////

     It had been thirty minutes since Bella told me she was at Jacob's house. I could hear the rain as she hung up. Iw as worried and I knew I shoudlve stopped her from going. But then I woudk have to tell her about the wolves and it wasn't my secret to tell.

     I mean, we owed them that much, right? They never spilled the beans about us. The movie was playing, but ibwas looking past the TV at the wall, lost in thought. My phone rang and I answered quickly, hoping it was Bella and that she had renounced her friendship with Jacob.

     "Hey, Aubrey," Emmett's voice said. "What's up?" I missed him so much...

     "Hey, Em. I'm just at Bella's, watching movies. It's raining so we decided to stay in. Charlie and Harry are fishing. I have a bad feeling, though," I muttered.

////////

     I was right. Bella called me on her way home, crying. She said that Jacob had indeed changed; he had cut his hair quite short and had a tattoo. I knew the tattoo she was talking about... He seemed aashamed of something and he warned her to stay away from him.

     He said he wasn't good, but that he used to be. She didn't know what that meant, but I did. Then she had said something about 'Sam and his cult' to him, which was a mistake in my eyes. Of course, Jacob said they were helping him.

     Then he said something that really irked my nerves: if Bella wanted someone to blame, she should blame those 'filthy blood-suckers you love so much', meaning the Cullen's. But I know he knows about my family. The other wolves would've told him...

     "I'm going to that field that Edward and I used to go to. Aubrey, I'll be okay. I just need to see if that field will help me see him, okay? I'll call later. Thank you for everything and I love you," she whispered and the line went dead.

     If I had a heart, it would have been beating so fast. But she would be okay. I kept repeating that to myself.