Chapter Six

Aubrey's POV

     That night, Bella and I lay in her bed. She was half asleep and I was on the edge of the bed so she would stay warm under the covers. I heard footsteps approach the house and leaves crunching.

     My body tensed, but then the smell hit my nose. Definitely a wolf. Probably Jacob. The pebbles began hitting the window and Bella shot up. She opened the window and Jacob slid in. He glared at me and turned to Bella.

     "What the hell is she doing here?" he sneered. Bella looked angry.

     "Don't talk her to like that! I can have whoever I want here!" she whisper-yelled. I laughed and stood up, opening the door.

     "It's fine, Bells. I'm gonna go downstairs with Charlie for a little while." I walked down the stairs and into the living room. It was 11:00 PM and Charlie was watching some sitcom on TV. I sat on the couch and sat on my legs.

     "Hey, Charlie. I can't sleep. Mind if I watch TV with you?" I smiled and raised my eyebrows. He smiled and nodded.

     I knew Bella didn't do this and it made him happy. But I was eavesdropping on Bella and Jake's conversation.

     "I want to explain what's going on, Bella. I do, but I can't right now. Just...remember the story I told you on the beach. That day you came with your friends, remember?"

     "The one about the Cold Ones? I can't remember the exact story, Jake." I could hear Bella brushing his hair back and he gasped. He must have seen the scar from James's bite...

     "What if we leave Forks? I would if you came with me," she said quietly. Clothing rustled and I knee they were hugging. He leapt from the window and ran off. Charlie yawned and I mimicked him.

     "Goodnight, Charlie. See you tomorrow." I smiled and headed upstairs as he waved at me. When I entered the room, Bella was laying back down on her bed. I could hear quiet, muffled sobs.

     I sighed and climbed in beside her. When she felt my body next to hers, she rolled over and wrapped her arms around my neck, hugging me.

     "Shh, Bella. It's okay. It'll all be okay..." But would it?

//////////

     The next day, Bella made me go to the reservation with her. I would be breaking the treaty, technically, but I could easily fix it. I sat in the driver side of my truck. I insisted on bringing my truck in case we needed a quick getaway.

     I would need something dependable. Bella stepped down off the sidestep and walked slowly to the door. She knocked and Billy answered.

     "Jake isn't home, Bella," he said quietly as he peered around her at me. I nodded to let him know what I was doing g here. He should understand that I wanted to protect her.

     She pushed past Billy and into the house. Shit, Bella! I could hear her burst into Jake's room and I heard snores. I think I saw them before Bella did; the four boys walking from the woods toward the Black house.

     I didn't recognize them, but I knew their names. Bella ran from the back door and charged towards them. This girl... I gripped the sides of my seat and looked at Billy on the front porch. He held up a hand, meaning for me to wait to drag Bella away.

     "Leave Jacob alone!" she yelled. They laughed mockingly at her. Then she did something that I should've stopped. She slapped the one that I thought was Paul. My mouth fell open and Billy smirked.

     I jumped out of the truck and was by her side in a second. He transformed into the huge wolf and Bella backed away slowly. She grabbed my arm and I wrenched it away. Jacob came running outside, coming toward us.

     I crouched low and growled, looking at the wolf from under my lashes.

     "Bella! Aubrey! Move away from him!" Jacob yelled. He was about to phase, but this was my fight. I would fight for Bella, unlike everyone else.

     "You better get out of here, leach. This isn't your fight!" one of the guys said loudly. I laughed and looked up at him

     "Don't worry. I won't hurt him too badly." But I wouldn't make the first move. Then I would be the one who instigated it. The other two were laughing as Jake pulled Bella's arm.

     "Let go of me! Aubrey, stop! Don't hurt her!" she screamed as Jacob and one of the others dragged her away. The wolf pounced and I jumped up, flying a few feet into the air.

     He face planted the ground and I landed on my feet behind him, turning to face him. He growled and I got my arms around his ribs. I could crush him right now...

     "If you ever do that again, you will be injured. Do you understand me, mutt?" I growled.

     "You're supposed to protect the humans; not scare the shit out of them." I squeezed a little and he whimpered.

     I let go of him and he fell to the ground in a heap. I set my hands on my hips and the alpha and the other boy were staring at me in amazement. Jacob and Embry had already taken Bella to Sam's house.

     "Look, I know the treaty applies to the Cullen's, but I'm guessing you know that Edward and his family left a few months ago. And Jake has helped Bella through the healing process, like I have. Now he needs her. But Bella needs me. I'm here to protect her and no one will get in my way." I narrowed my eyes at them, standing tall.

     "The treaty can be void in that aspect for a little while. I will be here when she is here and if that is a problem, then she won't be here. That will hurt Jake, right? And what hurts Jacob, hurts the whole pack. I can make damn sure that happens."

     I folded my arms over my stomach and the boy I just fought with emerged from behind a tree wearing a new pair of jeans. He glared at me while the other one laughed and the alpha just stared at me in thought.

     "No way, leach," the hot-head started to say, but the alpha held up his hand.

     "Alright, Barsoumian. That's fair enough. Let's go."
---------------------------------------------------------
A/N: I had so much fun writing this chapter!(: