Chapter Four

"Breakfast!" Noah yelled into the hall. He looked at me as he walked back into the kitchen, "you didn't have to set the whole table, y'know."

"Oh." I stated, a twinge of embarrassment hitting me. "I'm sorry, I just thought-"

"No, it's fine." He shook his head, a smile forming on his lips, "it's nice. We usually just throw the plates onto the counter and everyone fends for themselves. This is better though, and you can meet everyone."

"If you say so," I responded, returning his smile with a small one of my own. A few seconds later, I could hear footsteps in the hall. Dylan and Liam came in, donned in gear as well.

"Look who made it through the night," Dylan said, seemingly surprised to see me.

"I guess that'd be me," I replied, watching as the two, including Noah and Chase, moved to sit at the table.

"Fine by me," Chase said, starting to pile food onto his plate. I sat down in the empty seat beside Noah, grabbing a pancake and putting it down onto my plate. I wasn't sure if I would be able to eat, given everything, but I knew it would be impolite to not eat anything at all.

"So, you can create runes?" Liam asked, breaking his silence. I looked up, thrown slightly off guard by the random question.

"Oh, yeah." I said, nodding. I started to cut my pancake, "And I can make portals, like you guys. But I'm sure you already knew that."

"Yep, looks like we were right." Chase noted, shoving a forkful of eggs into his mouth.

"About what?" I ask, starting to eat. After taking a bite, my attention shifted to the taste of the pancake rather than the obscure comment Chase had made. "Wow, this is really good."

"Ooh boy, she's flirting." Dylan said, looking over at Noah who rolled his eyes in response.

"Thanks, I'm pretty much the only one here who knows how to cook so..." Noah said, giving a shrug, "I guess I adapted."

"That is not true!" Dylan replied. Noah shifted his gaze to him, and Dylan faltered. "I mean... Uh, I bet Clary can cook. It's rude to talk about her like that."

"I meant out of you guys," Noah clarified, "if Clary wants to she can outshine the rest of you some night."

I raised my eyebrows, "I can make macaroni and cheese," I told him.

"Did you make your own recipe?" Noah inquired, finishing off his plate.

"Yeah, I call it Craft." I joked, and he tilted his head slightly before chuckling.

"That was a good one," Noah responded, and I could hear Chase, Dylan, and Liam laugh quietly as well. "Looks like I'll have to pass on my talents to you."

I looked at him, expecting him to start laughing to indicate that it was a joke, but he looked serious. "You want to teach me how to cook?" I inquired, noticing that my plate was empty.

"Sure, why not?" He asked, and I could hear the faint side-conversations stop for a brief moment.

"Okay, sounds good." I nodded, watching as Noah stood up. He grabbed his plate, and then motioned toward mine.

"You should eat some more," he told me.

"Honestly, I'm not that hungry," I explained, and he narrowed his eyes. "I promise. I usually don't eat in the mornings." I lied, but I'm sure anyone would if they were in my situation.

"Alright, I'll take it then." He picked up my plate, taking it to the sink. "If you get hungry, feel free to come into the kitchen whenever. Breakfast is really the only time we all eat together."