Chapter Twelve

"Are you sure you had fun?" Noah asked me as we walked through the halls of the Institute. The last time I glanced at the time the numbers 12:47 flashed back at me. I wondered if any of the guys were wondering where we had run off to, but I hoped, given some of their immature personalities, that they hadn't noticed.

"I did," I told him for what felt like the tenth time. "It was really, really fun. I can't believe how late it got." We stopped outside of his door, and he leaned against it with his arms crossed.

"Are you tired?" He inquired, raising an eyebrow. And for once, it didn't bother me.

"Nope," I popped the 'p' as I spoke, and that brought a smile to Noah's face. "How about you?"

"Hmm... I can't say that I am." He told me, "but I could go for some pizza."

"Oh my God. Pizza would be so good right now." I replied, and he chuckled.

"Okay, here's my proposal," he said. "We get popcorn to hold us over, order pizza, and watch a movie."

"Where are we going to watch a movie?" I asked him, thinking that maybe they'd had a theater in the Institute that they hadn't told me about. But once he glanced at his door, I realized that the answer was likely no.

"Well, I have a laptop in my room. We can get changed into something more comfortable... Maybe pajamas, and have a movie party." He suggested, "I mean, two probably isn't usually considered a party but I think we could lower the quantitative standard."

"I have no clue what just spewed out of your mouth," I expressed, giggling.

"Neither do I." He laughed too, "enough talking. Go get changed and meet me inside."

"If you insist," I told him, but I was eager for the chance to change out of the heels that grew progressively more uncomfortable throughout the night. I rushed into my bedroom and yanked my shoes off, searching for a pair of pajamas. I quickly settled on soft, fluffy white shorts, and a gray v-neck.

I wasn't drunk, but I definitely felt the buzz of the alcohol and the club still tingling through my body. After stumbling a few times, I was successfully dressed, and I pulled my hair into a loose bun before heading back to Noah's room. I knocked three times on the door and waited for some indication that it was alright to go in. Shortly after, I heard, "It's open!" And I walked inside to see him pulling on a black shirt.

He was wearing a pair of checkered maroon and black pajama pants with a plain black v-neck. "You look nice," he told me, and I beamed up at him from across the room.

"So do you," I returned the compliment. He chuckled as he plopped down onto his bed where I joined him a few seconds later. Pulling out his laptop and resting in his lap, we went scrolling through various movies before settling on a horror film. I watched him reach behind him to pick up a bowl of buttery popcorn, and I could practically feel my mouth water at the sight and smell of it.

"You won't freak out and spill the popcorn, will you?" He asked me, placing the laptop on his lap and holding the popcorn in front of me.

"Who do you think you're talking to? I'm a shadow hunter." Before he could protest, I grabbed it from him and started munching.

•••

"It's over, Clary." He told me.

"You're lying," I said stubbornly. My voice was muffled, my mouth covered by the fabric of his shirt.

"No I'm not." I could feel his chest vibrate as he laughed, and I slowly lifted my head from his chest to see that there was a different scene on the laptop screen. I realized soon into the movie that I had lived a sheltered life, safe from the terrifying clutches of the horror movie industry. With that came a price, though. I jumped during every single scary part, and nearly ran for the hills whenever there was any form of paranormal activity.