Chapter Fifteen

"There's no way that books are better than movies," Noah said, shaking his head. After everyone had finished eating every morsel of food on the counter, much to my surprise, everyone dispersed into their rooms. I had joined Noah's in his, and then engaged in a very serious debate in which I had passionate feelings regarding.

"Books are better than movies. Movies are never exactly like the book, they're just recreations that miss a huge part of the story, like the main character's thoughts and feelings. They can't really be conveyed unless they're narrating." I explained to him, "and you're telling me that the completely changed and incomplete versions are better than the original? I disagree."

"You're cute when you're being passionate," He said, and I felt my determination to convince him of my views subside. I looked at him from a few feet away on his bed, just taking it all in. I had gone from being devastated over Jace cheating on me, to developing feelings for the man sitting across from me. It felt surreal. The prior few days felt like a dream, and it was one that I hoped I would never wake up from. "And I get what you're saying. I guess I just like being able to see the story unfold in front of my eyes, with actual people and situations. I like it more than reading it off of a page, even if it comes at the expense of the integrity of the book."

"Oh so you do think that the completely changed version is better than the original," I replied, but my heart wasn't in the debate anymore. I was far more interested in looking into his eyes, and hearing his laugh one more time, and my comment had gotten me exactly what I'd wanted.

With a chuckle, he raised a hand to my face and tucked my hair behind my ears. In that moment, I realized why he liked the movies. With books, you had to picture everything, and it felt less real. In movies, though, you could see every small action, every minuscule mannerism of the characters. You could relate to them, and watch as they did something as simple as tucking another character's hair behind their ear. Something told me that Noah was into the romantic movies, too. But I didn't ask.

And for a brief moment, it seemed as though Noah was leaning in again. But unfortunately, the moment was cut short when a knocking sound came from the door. Noah let out a sigh, "who is it?" He asked.

"It's me," I recognized the voice as Dylan's, but still laughed quietly at his ineffective way of identifying himself. "Any chance you want to go to Illusion tonight? You know, since you forgot to invite us last night?"

"Hard pass, I already had my fun." Noah told him. I heard Dylan groan loudly, and I covered my mouth to stifle another laugh.

"Whatever. Can you ask Clary if she wants to come?" He asked, and Noah and I both looked at each other sideways. He put a finger to his mouth in a shushing motion.

"Why do you want me to ask her?" Noah inquired, and I raised my eyebrows at him.

"Because I went to ask her and she's not in her room," Dylan explained. "I assumed that she was in there with you."

"She is," Noah rubbed the back of his neck, seemingly in thought before he spoke again. "I was just giving her the pencils that I bought for her." I looked at him curiously, but I figured that he wanted to keep our situation private given Sebastian's response.

"Dude, I don't care," Dylan told him, and I laughed into my hand again. "I'm just wondering if she wants to go with."

"I'm actually okay," I told him, "I think I'm just going to spend tonight working on some art stuff."

"Alright." Dylan replied, "Well, if you change your mind, we will be leaving at seven."

"Sounds good, I'll let you know," I told him, and I could hear footsteps receding from the door. I waited until I couldn't hear them anymore, and then I turned toward Noah, "giving me pencils?"

"I didn't know what else to say," he explained, shrugging his shoulders. "I just... I don't want Sebastian catching wind of our situation and getting angry with me. I mean he wanted you here so that we could better protect you, not so that we could fall for you."

"And what exactly is our situation?" I inquired, and Noah glanced downward.

"What do you want it to be?" His eyes were golden when they met mine, seemingly sparkling under the ceiling light.

"No way are you going to answer that with a question," I told him, shaking my head.

"Alright, well look..." He reached over to grab my hand, taking it gently into his. "I know that it's really soon, and that we haven't known each other for very long... But there's just something about you, Clary."

"Something about me?" I asked, biting my lip when he continued speaking.

"I just feel like I've known you for so much longer. I feel like we have a strong connection," He explained, and I could feel any tension that I was holding onto dissipate as he spoke. I hung on each word that he said, listening intently. "You're absolutely beautiful, and I'm not just talking about your appearance. And I don't think that us meeting was a coincidence, I feel like it was meant to be." He squeezed gently, slowly drawing circles with his thumb on the back of my hand. "I was thinking that maybe our situation could be... You being my girlfriend."

"You watch romance movies, don't you?" I asked, reflecting on my thoughts from earlier. He furrowed his brows, looking at me with a confused look. "Sorry, what I meant to say was yes. I'd love to be your girlfriend, Noah."

"We just might have to be a little secretive until Sebastian warms up to the idea, but I'm sure that we can manage," he said. I watched him as he leaned toward me, and this time I was certain that he was. I closed my eyes as he pressed his lips against mine, and I could feel excitement bubbling up inside of me. When we pulled away, he looked into my eyes with his beautiful golden ones. When he blinked, they returned to their usual color. "By the way, can I get your number?"

I laughed, realizing that typically that would've been the first thing I had given to him had we met under different circumstances. Or at least before I had agreed to be his girlfriend. I gave a nod and we both exchanged numbers, "I guess this will help us to be more discreet," I pointed out.

"Exactly what I was thinking," He replied. "See? Great minds think alike."

"My great mind is thinking that Sebastian could walk in here at any moment," I told him, sitting up. "I should probably head back to my room, at least until they leave."

"Oh, great idea." He nodded. "And hopefully, Sebastian will warm up to the idea sooner rather than later."

"Something tells me that isn't how it's going to go," I responded, giving a thin-lipped smile, "but we'll see."

Within a few moments, I was sitting in my own bed, rethinking everything that had happened. I took a deep breath, closing my eyes and letting it all sink in. I was now in a relationship with the person that had come to my rescue the night that Jace had cheated on me. And strangely enough, it felt... right.

I heard my phone vibrate, and I quickly grabbed it and put in my passcode to see that I had received a text message.

Unknown Number:
Hey Clare-Bear, it's Noah. Just wanted to make sure you made it back to your room safely.

I laughed, quickly creating a new contact with his name and number.

Me:
I narrowly avoided getting hit by a bus on my way here, but I made it in one piece.

Noah:
You can never be too safe. Look both ways before crossing the hall next time.

Me:
I'll have to remember that.

Noah:
I've got some plans for tonight. I won't give too much away, but I can tell you that it involves some baking. I'm going to take a quick nap to make sure I'm at the top of my game, I'll talk to you later?

Me:
A nap sounds great. I'll text you when I wake up.

Noah:
Sweet dreams.

I locked my phone, staring up at my ceiling and looking forward to that night. I wasn't exactly sure what baking entailed, but I hoped that he had planned something simple enough for a beginner to get the hang of. Pushing that thought to the back of my head, I shut my eyes and hoped that I would be able to fall asleep.

---
(Edited on November 9, 2017)
(Edited again, now)
Xoxo