vii

I whimpered as my father slammed me into the door, his face flushed and his eyes furious. His chest heaved up and down as I let out a small cry of pain. My back was already bruised and cut, and the metal doorframe wasn't helping.

"What the fuck do you think you're playing at, huh?" Father roared as he slapped me harshly across the face. I let out a shriek of pain and heard running footsteps.

"Get the fuck off her!" An angry voice boomed, and I snapped my head to the side to see Harry and Liam running towards me. My father turned to them and Harry shoved him back, his face twisted into a snarl.

"What kind of a man hits a woman?" He boomed. I could see a vein standing out on his neck as he got into my father's face.

"Harry!" Liam shouted, grabbing at him. My father shoved him back harshly, and turned to grab my wrist tightly. I yelped in pain and Harry twisted free from Liam, lunging at my father.

"Harry!" I screamed as he hit him in the face repeatedly. Blood was gushing out of Father's nose and he was spitting out blood. I rushed forward, wrapping my hands around Harry's fist. He shook me off, and I cried out.

"Harry, stop it! You're going to kill him!" I shouted, pulling desperately on his uniform.

"Help me!" I shouted at Liam, and he ran forward. I let go of Harry as Liam grabbed a fistful of his uniform. Harry swung at him, more surprised than anything as he dragged the curly haired man back. He was breathing heavily as Liam roped his arms around him, holding him back from going at my father, who was slowly and unsteadily climbing to his feet.

"You." He said, pointing a shaky finger at me.

"Pack your shit and get the fuck out of my house. You're no daughter of mine. You filthy little-"

"Shut the fuck up!" Harry roared, twisting to break free from Liam's hold.

"Harry please, stop." I whispered, and he clenched his jaws, his darkened eyes staring at me.

"Angel, take Harry to his cell." Liam said, and I nodded, walking over to him and wrapping my hands around his large biceps. Both of my hands didn't even touch around his arms.

I start to pull at his arm, dragging him out of the room. I knew that if he didn't want to, then he wouldn't have budged.

"Harry, c'mon, please." I begged as he slowed to a stop. He frowned at me as I tugged on his arm again and thankfully he began moving again. He kept twisting to look over his shoulder, but I kept my head down and refused to turn around when I heard my father screaming abuse.

We entered his cell after I scanned my print into it and as soon as I followed him inside he turned around and strode towards me. I cowered away, but then he did something unexpected.

He hugged me.

He wrapped his long arms around my waist and pulled me in close to him. His fingers splayed on my back as he pressed his hands flat against my spine, rubbing up and down soothingly. He moved his hand up and cupped the back of my head, pressing it to his chest. I could hear his heart pounding as he breathed unevenly, and I relaxed against him, hesitantly wrapping my small arms around his waist.

"Fuck," he breathed, holding me close to him.

"Fuck, are you okay? Did he hurt you?" He asked, pulling back and cupping my cheek, pressing his hands gently to my injured cheek as he stared into my eyes.

"Angel, are you alright?" He repeated, his face so close to mine that I felt his warm breath fan out over my lips. My throat had closed up and tears were brimming in my eyes, but I nodded, gulping. His eyes were so gentle, so different from the crazed, glazed eyes of the other patients here. He furrowed his eyebrows and his long fingers wiped the tear making its way down my cheek gently.