Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Journal Entry: Evoking a spell of forgetting.

Ingredients: A white candle, small glass bowl, passionflower extract, lavender oil, spell.

Light candle for good energy. Combine 20 drops of passionflower extract with 10 drops of lavender oil in the glass bowl. Swirl contents together and hold over candle flame, allowing the potion to warm and release its scent into the air. Passionflower will help to soothe your subject's nervous tension and anxiety, while lavender works as a deep calming agent. Wave your hand through the scent, pushing it in the direction of the person you are working the spell on. Focus on their mind while reciting the following spell:

Divine powers hear my plea,

Remove, (insert person's name) memory.

But only those that harm may do,

The memory of me and you.

Let them fade into the past,

And do not the anguish last.

***

When the spell was complete, I slumped back into the chair, running a hand across my face and into my messy hair. My gaze fell on the ingredients of my impromptu spell. Thankfully, Flagstaff had a fairly prominent new age and metaphysical following and I'd been able to find the supplies I needed. My glass bowl was actually a shot glass, but one had to make due with what was available sometimes.

Inhaling deeply, I tried to let the soothing herbs calm my frantic mind. Too bad this spell wouldn't work on me, or better yet, my dad. That would make things a whole lot easier. Unfortunately, this type of magic would only work on the mind of someone without powers; and even then, it wasn't a complete mind wipe.

Intruding into someone else's life and messing with their memories went completely against my personal code of ethics. I didn't like doing it.

"Sometimes we have to do things we don't like to protect others." I could hear Marsha's voice ringing in my ears.

"It borders on black magic." I'd argued. "You can't tear into someone else's mind and not expect it to come back and bite you."

"Then be gentle with your spell. Manipulate it so it does no harm."

This spell was just that, almost like a comforting blanket to cover the mind. If someone stirred that blanket, memories would come to the surface, but with only faint recollection. From this point on, Amber would think I was merely some insignificant person who'd passed through her life.

In reality, I realized now, that's all I ever could be to anyone. There was no point in getting attached to people in the future, until things were resolved with my dad; and frankly, I didn't see how that would ever happen.

The lock in the door popped open. Marsha entered the room with a wide smile, her blonde curls bouncing as she dangled a set of keys in front of her face.

"We got it! It's not a big place—only a small two bedroom cottage, really—but it's super charming and comes fully furnished."

I gave her a halfhearted grin, wishing I could share her enthusiasm.

"Come on, Vance! Don't be like that." Her eyes sparkled with delight. "I feel good about this place. I had lunch with the High Priest and Priestess of this coven, Sean Mullins, and his mother, Milly. They're amazing! I think we'll fit right in with them."

Sighing, I glanced at the items on the table once more before locking eyes with her, again. "I hope you're right about this, Marsha. We won't be able to make them forget us if we need to leave."

Fire & Iceजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें