Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Journal Entry:

I've never wanted something so badly. Everything about us seems to fit right together. It sounds crazy, even to me, the cynical person who's never believed in all the gushy love stuff. I remember how my parents fought before we ran; love has never been very successful for the people I've known. Yet now, I find myself in the middle of it and I want it so badly. I need her—want to keep her with me always—want to always feel the way she makes me feel. Happy. I can't recall ever being this happy. I love her.

***

"Hey sexy," I spoke into her mind during class. We didn't have any classes together this year, but at least I could talk to her whenever I wanted to.

"Hey yourself," she replied, seeming much more at ease this time. Joy infused her at the sound of my voice in her mind and I loved feeling that reaction from her. "What're you doing?"

"Listening to all those wonderful thoughts in your head. Why didn't you tell me you wanted to see my tattoos?"

She was silent for a bit, clearly caught off guard. "I don't know. It seemed a little forward, I guess."

I chuckled. "It's not forward at all. You're my girlfriend. You should know these things about me. I want you to know."

"How many do you have," she asked, curious.

"Three. One on each shoulder and one down my left side."

"What do they look like?"

This was too good of an opportunity to pass up. "They're all of naked women."

Her thoughts paused, stuttering about in her head, and it was hard not to laugh out loud. "I'm kidding, Portia. Relax."

"Oh," she replied, a giggle escaping. Suddenly she started coughing and I quickly deduced that she'd drawn attention to herself. "Sorry, dry throat," she croaked out.

"Nice cover." I chuckled, enjoying how flustered she was. However, I had to be careful as well, to keep from drawing attention to myself. "We don't want people thinking you're going crazy there in the corner by yourself."

She snorted again, immediately followed by more coughing.

"Do you need a pass to go get a drink?" her teacher's voice came through.

"Um . . . no, I'll be—"

"Take the pass!" I ordered, sitting straighter and waving to get my teacher's attention.

Portia started coughing again. "Uh, yes," she spoke with feigned difficulty.

"Meet me in the gym," I told her, excited to steal a moment away with her.

"Okay."

She was already standing inside the dim space when I arrived. Grabbing her hand, I pulled her down the side of the wall and under the partially open stack of bleachers. No one would even know we were here.

"All the PE classes are on the fields today, so I knew this would be empty," I explained, unable to stop myself from bending to kiss her, pausing for a moment to drink her in before my lips touched hers. She closed her eyes and leaned in closer as she wrapped her arms around my neck. Those crazy emotions rose immediately to the surface, like they did every time we touched—more sparks—more fire, which was funny to me since technically she was an ice queen. But whatever her power might be, she was definitely the match to my flame. I briefly wondered if any children had been conceived under these bleachers before I forced myself to refocus.