Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Journal Entry:

Halloween, All Hallows Eve, Samhain, Day of the Dead-whatever name people choose to call it-I hear all about it this time of year. Normally, for me, it passes without a great deal of fanfare. Spells, ghouls, and goblins of dark magic aren't nearly as exciting to exploit when you are actually a warlock and you live with the reality of it everyday. And I'm sorry, but even though I am a witch, I have to say I'd never be caught wearing some of the costumes people come up with.

That being said . . . this is Portia's first Halloween as a witch, and I find myself wanting to have a little fun with her, and maybe teach her something new about her heritage in the process.

***

Portia drew her coat tighter around her shoulders. "It's a bit nippy tonight," she said, and I followed her gaze through the trees toward the giant full moon barely peaking out behind heavy clouds. A light wind gusted through the trees, causing creaking branches and eerie whispers. "This is kind of creepy, Vance," she added, shutting the passenger door of Marsha's car.

I laughed heartily. "What are you afraid of-that you might run into a witch or something? Baby, you are what people are running from in the darkness." I draped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer. "Don't worry. I'll protect you."

She smiled. "And who will protect you?"

Chuckling, I responded. "That's why I brought you."

She eyed me skeptically. "I'm still a novice witch who pretty much has no clue about what she's doing."

"Exactly, meaning while you stand around frozen with shock, I'll be able to run away. The boogeyman always eats the slowest people first, you know."

She stopped, not moving any further. "Please tell me the boogeyman isn't real too."

Shaking my head, I grasped her hand, dragging her along toward the end of the car. "It's wrong for me to tell you all the secrets at once. Why ruin the fun for later? Now turn around."

"How come?" she asked stubbornly, glancing with suspicion toward the trunk.

Reaching into my pocket, I removed a strip of cloth, dangling it in front of her. "Because I'm going to blindfold you, so turn around."

She bit her lip for a second, staring at me before turning her back toward me. "It's a good thing I trust you," she mumbled as I slipped the silk around her eyes, tying it securely in a knot behind her head.

Quickly, I opened the trunk and grabbed out a large canvas bag full of items, shouldering them, before guiding Portia's hands to my elbow. "Grab hold here. I promise to guide you, just hang on to me."

"How far are we going?" she questioned, and despite her smile, I could still hear the concern in her voice.

"Don't worry. It's not too far, we should be there in a couple of hours."

She stiffened. "A couple of hours?"

I laughed again. "Did I say hours? I meant a couple of steps."

"You're such a tease." She pinched my arm through my leather jacket.

"Wow. Getting abusive with me already," I teased.

"That's what happens to liars."

"Liars?"

"Well, yeah. You've lied to me twice tonight."

"Twice? You must have been eating too much Halloween candy. I think you're hallucinating."