Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Rampaging thirst dragged me back to the surface and I blinked several times as I tried to figure out where I was. The walls of Milly's dungeon filled my view, and I realized I was in the ritual room on a cot. Lifting my head, I glanced around, immediately noticing the strong glass-like magical shield in place, dividing the room in half. It seemed I had exchanged one prison for another.

Portia lay sleeping on a cot outside the barrier and my mouth watered heavily as I remembered how good she tasted. Getting up, I went to her, touching the glass between us.

A hard pulse zapped through me, letting me know they were intent on keeping me from escaping. I didn't care. I welcomed the jolt.

"Portia," I spoke her name softly, trying to wake her. Her heart rate accelerated and I closed my eyes, relishing the sound of her racing blood.

"Vance?" her voice faintly spoke back into my mind. "Where are you?"

"Portia. I need you!" I said, trying to rouse her again, crouching down so my face was level with hers. She stirred slightly. "Portia!" I growled, irritated. "Wake up!"

Instantly, her eyes popped open and we were face to face. The reflection of my red eyes glowing rippled in the glass, signifying my intense need for a drink.

"Help me!" Placing my hand on the barrier between us, I didn't move away when the current shocked me, allowing the burst to tear through my senses.

"You're awake! That's wonderful!" she exclaimed, sounding relieved, her eyes traveling over me.

"Please, Portia. You have to help me," I pleaded again, the thirst threatening to drive me insane. She was so close—if only I could reach her.

"What do you need me to do?" she asked.

"I'm thirsty. I need a drink," I replied, encouraged that she seemed anxious to help me.

"We left water for you on the stand beside your bed." She pointed to it. "There's food too, if you're hungry. I'm sure you're feeling very weak now."

"No!" I said, feeling extremely irritated with her. "I'm thirsty!" Dammit! How naïve was she?

"So, go get a drink!" she replied, sounding frustrated herself.

Standing, I stepped to where the waiting tray rested and flung it across the room, spraying the contents everywhere.

"What're you doing?" she asked, irritated, and I went back to the partition, placing my hands against where hers were flattened on the other side. My muscles twitched heavily, tremors racing through me.

"I need a drink, Portia. Please! Just come in here with me. I promise I won't take too much." I didn't know how else to make her understand. This thirst was driving me crazy.

Recognition finally dawned on her expression. "I'm sorry, Vance. You know that's impossible." Sorrow filled her eyes as she shook her head.

"Bull!" I yelled, slamming both my fists against the glass as fury ripped through me. She gasped and moved away, her face a mask of shock.

"Let me out of here, Portia!" My anger flooded to the surface and I continued beating against the barrier with all my might, glaring at her. She didn't move a muscle, only stared at me with that same stupid expression.

Shoving away, I paced the small cage, wringing my hands, rubbing my arms, grabbing my hair, as I tried to figure out something that would stop the incessant itching and burning under my skin. The cravings were so bad I'd drink my own blood if I thought it would help. I couldn't take it. Somehow, I needed to make her understand how desperately I needed this.