Chapter Twenty-Three

Journal entry:

I'm using a notebook of Portia's for this and I'll have to transfer things over later. For the time being, I'm an official resident of the Mullins' household. From the breakfast smells making their way to my room this morning, I'm thinking I'm going to enjoy staying here even more than I originally thought. Stacey is an amazing cook!

Nothing new has come to light regarding Portia's accident yesterday, that we are aware of. It makes me nervous to leave her today for school, but she's still suspended. I plan on keeping mental tabs on her from school, and I know the house is charmed, but still, I'd feel better if I could stay with her.

***

"Is Dad here?" I heard Portia ask as I came downstairs for breakfast.

"No, he's gone checking on some of his contacts this morning. He should be back sometime this afternoon," Stacey replied.

"Great. A whole boring day to myself. I guess I could go to the shop with Grandma." Portia didn't sound too thrilled about being home alone, either.

"I don't want you to leave the house, Portia," I said as I entered the kitchen. "You'll be safer here."

"I agree," her mom said, and I was grateful that she was leaving Portia little room for argument. "This house has protection charms everywhere."

"They never kept Vance from getting in," Portia said.

"True. But he's part of the coven. They were never meant to keep him out."

Stacey placed a steaming plate of French toast on the table, and Portia carried over the orange juice she'd been stirring. There was homemade maple syrup as well, which set my mouth watering.

"Wow! This smells great!" I said, not exaggerating one bit. "Thanks, Mrs. Mullins."

"Please, call me Stacey, or even Mom," she replied. "Mrs. Mullins makes me feel so old. Besides, you're basically living here, and you're dating my daughter."

"My mom has to be one of the greatest cook on the planet," Portia stated proudly. "I don't think there's a dish she could make that I wouldn't absolutely love."

"Well, maybe eggplant casserole," Stacey suggested. At Portia's groan and eye roll, it was clear there was a story behind it.

"Yeah, that was pretty awful," she agreed with a shake of her head, choosing not to elaborate any further.

Digging into my food, I enjoyed every single bite. All too soon, it was time for us to part ways. I cleared my spot, and Portia walked me to the door, hugging me tightly. It was clear she didn't want me to go.

"I'm going to miss you today." She nuzzled against my shoulder.

"I'll be back soon," I replied, returning her embrace, wishing I could stay too. "Go take a nap or something. It'll go by faster."

"All right." She lifted her face so I could kiss her goodbye.

"I love you," I replied, purposely keeping the kiss brief since we always seemed to combust so easily together. "Be careful," I warned one last time, brushing her cheek as I stepped outside.

She stayed there watching me until I drove away, and my heart ached already.

---

The principal had a meeting with Marsha and me at lunch, causing me to miss checking in on Portia. I'd immediately got in touch with Milly and she said she'd leave Babs in charge of the store. Milly got Portia, and they went to her house to make some of the herbal concoctions she sold at her shop, which helped me feel better, as I hadn't wanted her being alone all day. Milly's house was charmed as well, so it was safer than the store too. Finally, I was able to slightly relax.