04: Lizardsitting and Kissing

CHAPTER FOUR: Lizardsitting And Kissing

"Money won't create success, the freedom to make it will."

____

"You know, I had doctors orders to stay away from things that give me stress. This is giving me stress." Luna muttered. Stiles and her were sitting in the front seats of a police transport van, tasked with lizardsitting Jackson, who was locked in the back. Allison and Scott were in Allison's car, engaged in a rather passionate make-out session. It stung Luna like a bullet to witness their affection but she knew she needed to get over her crush. And she couldn't help but blame Stiles for bringing it back up again in the first place. 

She spent all of middle school trying to get over Scott, and she doesn't want to spend her entire high school years doing the same.

Stiles briefly looked out the window, then turned to Luna with a tender expression that was unusual for him. He held her gaze for a moment as if considering whether or not to speak, before finally breaking the silence. "You know, I used to have a huge crush on you." He confessed after a moment, a hint of nostalgia in his voice. "Well, you and Lydia."

Luna nearly choked on her sip of coffee at the unexpected revelation. But before she could respond, Stiles continued, his words filled with fondness. "I think it was in grade one when you tried to prank Jackson by filling his backpack with whipped cream but somehow ended up covered in it yourself? That's when it started." He snorted, recalling the incident. 

God, the memory flooded back, and Luna remembered the embarrassment she felt that day, sitting in a sad puddle of whipped cream waiting for her parents to come pick her up with tears streaming down her face. To make matters worse, they just found the situation amusing and took a photo to remember it by, hanging it on the mantle in her house.

"Or maybe it was when you tried to learn how to skateboard because the boys said you couldn't." He chucked a little to himself, turning to look at her. "I thought you were the coolest girl ever when you showed up the next week with cuts and bruises but had also somehow learnt how to do all these tricks. Really showed us up."

Ah yes, Luna had gone home after being excluded at playtime and begged for a skateboard. She learnt two tricks on the thing and it was enough for her to impress all the ruddy-faced boys in her class to let her play with them. It was also enough for her mom to pack the thing up and hide it away in fear of some more permanent injuries in the future.

A comfortable silence settled between them, and Luna's mind wandered to the possibility of her and Stiles being together. Maybe if she had looked past Scott and seen Stiles back then, things would be different. They actually had a lot in common when she thought about it. They shared interests in comic books and movies, both were the crowned King and Queen loser of the school.