16: Greek Mythology

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: Greek Mythology

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world."

____

Matt looked out the window of the station and into the night, his thoughts consumed by the memories of that cursed day, while Scott and Luna silently observed him. His eyes followed the trails of raindrops running down the glass, lost in a world of haunting recollections.

"I would see them at school, and they wouldn't even look at me," Matt bitterly continued his story, his voice tinged with hurt and resentment.

"I'd wake up in the middle of the night, gasping for breath. My parents thought I was asthmatic; they even gave me an inhaler. They didn't know that every time I closed my eyes, I was... I was drowning," he confessed, the anguish evident in his tone.

And Luna had to admit that the thought of nobody coming to his aid was unfathomable to her. How could people simply watch a kid drown and pretend it never happened? Matt must have felt utterly abandoned and alone.

But even so, it didn't excuse any of his actions.

"You know that little white light they talk about when you die? Well, I didn't see anything. Just darkness. Everything was dark, but then... then came the Argents funeral, and everything changed," Matt revealed, a note of anticipation in his voice. Luna's heart sank and all of her sympathy left her in seconds as she braced herself for what she knew was coming—if he started talking about falling in love with Allison, she's gonna lose it.

"I was getting some photos, working on my portfolio. Then, purely by accident, Lahey shows up in one of the shots," Matt admitted, his voice tinged with a disturbing sense of satisfaction. "I look down at the screen on my camera and I feel this unbelievable rage. All I can think about, all I can imagine, was seeing him dead."

A chilling laugh escaped Matt's lips, sending shivers down Luna's spine. "And the next day, he actually was," he added, his tone dripping with sinister delight.

Matt sighed before speaking yet again. He seemed to be on a roll, the classic villain telling their captors their entire tragic life story. "Einstein was right. Imagination is more important than knowledge. It was like God answered my prayers. It was like something out of Greek Mythology. The Furies coming down to punish Orestes," he mused, seemingly lost in his own world. Matt turned his gaze toward Scott, "You have no idea what I'm talking about, do you?"

Scott, as always, stumbled with his response. "Was he the guy who stabbed out his eyes?" he asked innocently, prompting a frustrated outburst from Matt and an internal facepalm from Luna. Because no, Scott. That was Oedipus, and if he don't stop talking she was pretty sure Matt would love to stab his eyes too.