Chapter 5 - The Game Is On

Sherlock obligingly grabbed Lizzie's hand pulling her to her feet. As he did he gave her a quick scan; bruises emerging on her forehead and arms- mainly on her right side from hitting the wall. Scratches mainly on her left. The cut on her forehead was stemming now, her pupils were normal, and pulse was average. She was perfectly calm. She really was a Holmes. "I'm fine Sherlock. You can stop checking me over." Letting go of his hand she continued. "How long do you think we've got until Mycroft turns up?"

"Early hours of the morning. Cover up is more important." And so, both siblings went off and got changed. Lizzie in the bathroom washing blood from her face. The water turning pink before she found a plaster in one of the cupboards.

For the next few hours the flat was a blur of paramedics, firefighters and police. It wasn't until 6am that Mycroft came walking up the stairs. "Act casual!" Lizzie whispered to Sherlock, picking up a book at random – even though it was a dictionary and upside down. Sherlock picked up his violin and began absent-mindly strumming it. When Mycroft burst in his face clearly said, 'I'm expecting to find two injured bodies', but it quickly changed to its neutral, as Lizzie put it 'I don't really care I just want cake' face.

"Elizabeth?"

"Ah Mikey darling, what has brought on this lovely visit?" Mycroft looked distasteful at the shortening of his name as well as the sarcasm. He simply grimaced at the wrecked flat.

It looked worse now in the early rays of the morning. The glass shimmered, creating a reflected broken world on the floor. The window completely non-existent apart from the clawed edges. "Ah yes. That," Lizzie said, following Mycroft's eyes around the room. "I've been meaning to ask Sherlock to clear up, he's incredibly messy."

"Is your head okay?" Mycroft said in a voice that was almost kind.

"Oh yes. It was looked over by a lovely paramedic." Lizzie lied. She had in fact hid the bathroom every time they showed up, not wanting the fuss. "He kissed it better and everything."

Ignoring this last comment Mycroft lent on his umbrella and carried on. "The people of Scotland Yard are investigating as we speak, I'm sure they'll find nothing of interest."

"If you say so." Sherlock scoffed. "Breakfast?"

"No!" Both Lizzie and Mycroft cried at the same time. They'd both had way too much experience with what Sherlock called cooking. It usually ended up cremated or worse.

"How about some tea?" Lizzie suggested, dropping her book and climbing on and over the table.

She moved into the kitchen preparing tea, ignoring the head in the fridge as she grabbed the milk. "Sorry they don't have a tea pot I do know how much you love to play mother Mike." Sherlock chuckled into his cup of tea, not even attempting to cover it up.

To the unknowing eye this was a normal sibling gathering but to John, who burst up the stairs not long after it looked like the world's worst tea party. One where all the guests seemed to be battling for the role of smartest sibling and it would not end well. "Sherlock?" He called, running up the stairs. "John." Sherlock said, acknowledging his flatmates arrival before returning to glaring at his brother. Lizzie was sat on the floor between the two. Watching each as though it was a tennis match.

"I saw it on the news."

"Hmm? Oh yeah its fine." He said, distractedly apparently having forgotten the events of that night.

"Gas leak, supposedly." Lizzie piped up before smirking at Mycroft. Sherlock who had gone back to his violin just said. "I can't."

"Can't?" Mycroft said, a look of disgust on his face at the word.