Chapter 10 - The First Case

Hey guys!!!! An update at last and I'm already thinking about the next chapter so it shouldn't be as long a wait :) just to warn you there is some swearing in this chapter but hope you enjoy! Thank you so much for 20K and for all your lovely comments please keep them coming! ~EK xxx

The group stayed huddled at the door, studying it. The room was barren apart from a few mirrors. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls from damp and the carpet was rough underfoot. "Can see why no one wants the place." Lizzie muttered. "Dead creepy." The only thing differing from the photo sent was a pair of old trainers sitting exactly in the middle of the room.

"Shoes." John said, his voice full of puzzlement.
"Ah yes John, how could we have not noticed?" Lizzie said sarcastically. Sherlock, ignoring them took a step towards them but John stopped him with a cautious hand. "He's a bomber, remember."

Sherlock stopped for a second before continuing, slower towards the shoes. Dust rose gracefully as he stepped, creaking the ancient floor boards. As he got closer to the shoes he lowered himself to the ground. Level with the shoes, he was jolted from his concentration as a phone ringing broke the eerie silence. Sherlock, irritated by the distraction stood up. Pulling the pink iPhone from his pocket.

"Hello?" Sherlock said, turning the phone on speaker. A shaky gasp treated the room before a tearful woman's voice said, "Hello... Sexy." John and Lestrade gave each other a puzzled looked as Lizzie smirked. "Who is this?" Sherlock said calmly.
"I sent you a little puzzled." The woman chocked, sobbing now. "Just to say hi."
"Who is this?" Sherlock repeated more urgently. "Why are you crying?"
"I'm not crying. I'm typing," the woman stuttered, stumbling over her words as she sobbed. "And this bitch is reading it out."  

Looking up from the phone and gazing into the distance Sherlock muttered, "The curtain rises."  "What?" John said, still huddled by the door with Lestrade.
"Nothing." Sherlock said, coming back to Earth.
"No, what did you mean?" Sherlock turned his head halfway towards John, his focus mainly on the phone clasped in his hand. "I've been expecting this for some time."
"Twelve hours to solve my puzzle Sherlock or I'm going to be very naughty." The woman said before the line cut off. The room stayed silently for a while before Lizzie said. "Shit Sherlock, you've got some fucked up fans."

Not long after Lizzie, Sherlock and John were climbing out of a taxi at Bartholomew's Hospital. Sherlock and Lizzie continuing the same argument they'd had the whole ride here. "But the bus is not only cheaper than a taxi but much more interesting."
"For the last time, were not having a repeat of earlier." "Just cos I won." Lizzie muttered to a hysterical John. When they entered the lab Lizzie and Sherlock split off in different directions. Leaving a confused John standing by the door watching as they worked. Sherlock was silently studying the shoe. Looking at every feature, taking every out of place particle and running scans and tests.

Lizzie was typing rapidly into her phone, plugged into one headphone. As John walked past her he could hear an array of languages as she yelled at different people. A few hours past and John disappeared to get coffee. Although Lizzie thought he wanted to get away from the two's quiet focus. "I've phoned all my contacts." Lizzie said pulling her headphone out and dropping her phone onto the desk. "There's not even a whisper about who this could be or where that woman is." Sherlock nodded before saying. "Why do you have French, Norwegian and Italian contacts?"
"Let's just say I know a guy who owes me."
"I'm not going to ask."
"I wouldn't." Lizzie said grinning, her tongue balancing her tongue between her teeth.

"So I heard mum knows I'm with you." Lizzie said her smile dropping.
"Yes." Sherlock said not looking up from the microscope.
"She wants me to go back?"
"I believe so."
"But I'm still here."
"Excellent observation."
"How?" Lizzie said eyebrows drawn.  Sherlock finally looked up from his work. "Elizabeth, when have you ever done what you are told."

Lizzie scowled at her name but continued, "Yes, but this time I was allowed to do what I wanted."
"I believe Mycroft may have spoken to them."  "Saying?" Lizzie asked suspiciously.
"That if you went back you'd run away else where and maybe time with me could help."
"And what do you think?"   Sherlock and Lizzie locked eyes like they did the night she arrived on his door step except there was no anger. "I think I've had worse company."
"Well cheers." Lizzie laughed. "So have you noticed too?" She said pointing at the shoe.
"Of course."
"Do you think John will?"
"Perhaps." Sherlock said grinning.