Chapter Two [edited]

Ribbons of moonlight streamed through the windows, illuminating Dwelling #1225 in a soft creamy glow, momentarily blinding even the golden radiance the candles provided us. A subtle breeze blew in and waved the tiny flames around, flickering and scattering wisps of fiery yellow all around. Moonrise was upon us.

My eyes snapping open at the beckoning of the rising moon, I sat up in bed, turning to meet Cassiopeia's eyes, who also woke up.

"Today you'll be given your occupation, Asteria," she said as she swung her legs off of the side of the bed and stalked towards her Recharge Chair.

"Yes." I followed her and reclined in my own Recharge Chair next to hers.

We both lay side by side, eyes closed, neither speaking a word as we let the warmth slowly spread through and awaken our sleepy selves.

<Resident #12265B, ASTERIA.>

My eyes opened as my attention was directed towards the bracelet on my wrist that had suddenly started glowing, a robotic female voice emanating from it.

"Yes?"

<Welcome to Ethereal. You have been assigned an occupation as a worker in Laboratory 3 at the Disposal Branch of the Memoria Department under the manager Elder Charmeine. You shall receive the taken memories from Stelli Hall and dispose of them before new souls have any chance of arriving with lingering emotions and memories. You must understand, this is the only way to keep peace in Ethereal.>

"Yes, I understand. Thank you."

The glow dimmed as the voice faded away. When I raised my eyes, Cassiopeia was already changing into her uniform, a spotlessly white piece of clothing much like a suit with a flowing skirt at the bottom. Following her lead, she bid me farewell as she left for her occupation, a worker at the Recharge Chair factories.

I branched away from her and trodded down the pavement until I reached the tall building that was the laboratory building for the Memoria Department's Disposal Branch. I counted five floors in all.

"Hello, how may I help you?" asked a woman at the receptionists' desk.

"Yes, I am Resident #1225B, Asteria. I have been assigned to work in Laboratory 3."

"We have been informed. The elevator is to your right. Go to the fourth floor."

"Yes. Thank you."

"You're very welcome, Asteria."

An array of circles laid out on a pad before me that was embedded in the elevator wall. I pressed '4' and waited as the doors slowly closed. The box ascended ever so slowly. When the doors opened again, a large white room unfolded before me. The laboratory was quite large, so large that it could fill an entire floor.

"Hello, Asteria," a chorus of ten voices greeted me as I stepped into the room.

"Hello," I answered. "You have been already informed, no? That I shall be working with you all from now on?"

"Yes," they replied.

Looking around, I understand immediately. Each laboratory required a number of people to work different tasks such as: crushing the memories, boxing up the dust, and delivering them to the manager's office, where they would be counted off before they headed to the Dump. As a Crusher, my job was...well, crushing.

I joined four others at the conveyor belt as the Memory Chute roared to life. Our eyes were fixed on the belt. Shining, golden orbs of memories dropped down the chute and onto the belt. We raised our fists and smashed them to bits. Memories were delicate objects, I noticed.