Chapter Fourteen

A blinding light enveloped the room. The eleven Angels gasped in surprise, shielding their eyes from the brilliance.

"He's back!" Charmeine exclaimed.

When the light died down, there stood Xapham, with a sour expression on his face. In his arms was an unconscious Lance. With not much delicacy, he dropped the young man on the map-table.

"Who is this, milord?" Michael asked as the others stood from their thrones and circled around the table.

"This man was turning Asteria's heart black with his sly words and actions." Xapham curled his fists in anger. "He must be destroyed."

"You drugged him with one of my potions?" Raphael asked. He examined the body, seemingly impressed.

"Yes. And now...we will crush his Star. We will make this man suffer for what he's done."

"Understood," the other Angels answered in unison.

"Then... Shall we start the ceremony now?" Charmeine asked.

They all looked at each other and nodded in mutual agreement. Standing in a circle, they clasped their hands together and started chanting.

"O Lord our Heavenly Father,

The All-Seeing and Everlasting Ruler,

We have presented You with a soul,

A spirit that has dared to sin even after his judgment."

As the Angels chanted, a wind whipped up in the room. Lance's body started trembling.

"We so humbly ask that You punish him in all Your glory,

Destroy his Star in Your hands,

And let us live on in peace."

Lance's chest started glowing a vivid red.

"In the Lord's name we pray..."

Lance's body arched upward, and an invisible force pulled out his Star of Memoria from his chest. It floated up about two feet above his body, spinning, emitting a beautiful golden glow.

"Amen."

As that last word was uttered, the Star started spinning faster and faster, until it exploded into a thousand tiny pieces of glittering dust.

A grin stretched across Xapham's face.

Cracks started appearing on Lance's body, breaking into pieces like porcelain. It disintegrated into bits, becoming lost in the gale that enveloped the room.

As the wind died down, they all heaved a sigh of relief.

"Such a ceremony requires so much energy," Dina muttered.

Xapham slammed a fist on the now empty table. "But we must bear with it. I have decided that we will do this same operation to all the rebels we find. We shall call it... Operation Rest in Pieces."

Gabriel chuckled. "Operation R.I.P. I like it."

Charmeine stood off to the side, a thought suddenly crossing her mind. This man must've been quite close to Asteria. If she found out that his Star was destroyed... The color drained from her face at the sudden realization. Oh, no. The Angels were done for.

Until next time, please

Vote,

Comment,

and Share!