Chapter Twelve

My eyes widened in shock. What...?

It was just a light peck, but a torrent of emotions coursed through me, making my body go sweltering to freezing and back again in a matter of seconds. I touched my lips, blinking into the ground. Never before had someone kissed me. It felt so alien, yet so natural when Lance did it.

"Um, hello?" Lance stared at me intently, eyes furrowed in confusion. "Don't leave me hanging here."

I couldn't meet his eyes. I just couldn't. That kiss... It completely tore down my walls. I... I didn't know what to think. I wanted to scurry away and hide in a hole, but at the same time, I wanted another one. So this is what love does to someone, huh?

Suddenly, I straightened, realizing something. "My back doesn't hurt anymore," I murmured. "That was too fast..."

"They say love makes everything better."

I chuckled nervously. "Or worse, based off of your definition from earlier."

He scooted over so he was sitting behind me. The action made me shiver, and goosebumps dotted my skin. He wrapped his strong arms around me, immediately encasing me in warmth. I sighed, relaxing. His hold felt so natural too...

"You know what else defines love?" he whispered suddenly.

"W-What?" I whispered back.

"Promises. Lots and lots of promises."

I smiled. "Let me hear yours."

"Well... We and the rest of the rebels will defeat the Angels together. We'll reincarnate ourselves as we watch Ethereal crumble, and we'll live a happy life together on Earth. Then we'll meet each other in the real Heaven and fall in love all over again."

I turned my head to look at him. "You promise?"

"I promise." He pulled away, staring into my eyes. When our eyes met, I knew he truly meant it. I sighed happily and leaned back into his embrace.

"You've grown so much over the course of the past few nights, you know," he added.

"Really?"

"Yeah. Remember when I first met you?"

I chuckled. "Yeah, I remember. It seems like ages ago, but I remember. You were holding a knife up against my throat. You were threatening Xapham, telling him to stop all this, or I'm going to die."

"And you tried to say that we're already dead, but I shut you up right there," he finished.

"Remember when my brain circuits snapped?"

"Oh, you were in so much pain back then. When did your head stop hurting?"

I shook my head. "I don't know. But that's the greatest thing that's happened to me, besides being abducted by you." I looked up at the ceiling, laughing at the irony.

Lance started laughing too. "It is pretty funny, huh?" He poked me in the side, making me yelp. "Hey, remember when I asked if you thought Ethereal was perfect? And you answered with a yes and a no?"

"Yeah?"

"Well, I said I'll change that to a no in a matter of nights." He squeezed me lightly. "What's your answer now?"

I laughed softly. "Definitely a no. You're my savior knight, Lance. My light in the darkness. I'm truly, truly grateful."

He gently pressed his lips to the nape of my neck. "Glad to hear it."

I sighed, not wanting this moment to end. We were alone, arm in arm, safe in this building, away from all the dangers outside. It was like I was in Heaven, staring down at a warring Earth.

Something had been nagging me at the back of my mind for a while now, so I decided to finally pop the question. "Hey, Lance. How exactly did you die? You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, though."

He stiffened, then relaxed with a sigh. "No, it's fine. It's just been so long that I've forgotten that I'm even dead." He closed his eyes and started his life story. "My parents were always getting into fights. The abuse. The alcohol. I tried to get away from all of it." Tears started brimming his eyes. "I smoked. I drank. And that ultimately led to my death. I was 21, driving under the influence of alcohol. I hit another car, and both I and that driver died in that accident."

"Alcohol..." I mused. The word made me gag, for some reason. I held a hand over my mouth, feeling like I was about to vomit.

"Asteria?" Lance's hold tightened.

"Yeah..." I said through my hand. "Just...feeling a little weird."

"Everything's going to be fine. Just you wait. We'll be out of here in no ti-" He was suddenly cut off. A sharp gasp escaped his lips as I felt his arms fall away from me.

"Lance? Lance!" I turned to see him lying on the ground, a needle jabbed into his neck. Standing above us was Elder Xapham, eyes glinting with triumph.

Hi everyone!

AHHHHHH!!! I just wrote my very first romance scene! How was it? How was it??? Was it too short? Too rushed? Too boring? I'm literally blushing from embarrassment over here...

Until next time, please

Vote,

Comment,

and Share!