Chapter twenty-three

As Trent and I approached territory line, two wolves emerge from the shadows, growling ferociously. Trent shifts with no shame, and I avert my wolf eyes. Hearing the faint whoosh sound of the shift, I keep my eyes low, not in sign of submission, but for Blake's sake.

"It's just Trent, Jayden." A deep voice booms through the quiet forest. I look up to see a tall man with long, shoulder length hair speaking to the young wolf version of himself standing beside Trent, snarling. Immediately, the young wolf backed off.

"Mason! I haven't seen you in forever. Where have you been?" Trent addressed to the tall man who was now known as Mason.

"Yes, I have been taking some time off to personally train my son," He nods over to the vigilant boy known as Jayden. "and today was my first day back as official beta and watch patrol captain." No wonder Mason had so much power radiating off him. He was an alpha's beta.

As Trent and Mason reminisce, Jayden and Blake, who had shifted as well, were also deep in conversation, leaving me, still in wolf form, by myself.

When is the alpha coming? I link Trent, bored.

A look of impatience crosses his face, and without warning, my wolf growls at the sign of disrespect. Trent lowers his head so that my own is above his, showing submission. I nod my big head in dismissal and sit back down on my hunches.

"The alpha should be here any minute Luna." Mason answers my silent question. I nod my thanks.

"Luna, don't you want to shift back?" Mason asks politely. I shake my big head 'no' and lay down. I didn't wanna shift in case anything like this morning were to happen. I needed to be in control of myself, and for some reason the only way I could do that was to be in my wolf form. Just as I start to relax, a rustling sound in the deep words perks up my ears. A tall man with light brown hair walked from the shadows, and the two patrol wolves bow their head in respect.

"You must be Luna Madi. Nice to meet you." He says genuinely. "I suppose this is your mark?" He asks, pointing to my lightning strike. I nod my big head and trot towards the bushes. Once safely secluded from all male eyes, I shift back and put on my clothes. Striding back out into the open, I go towards Cody and the rest of the group.

"So, Trent tells me you have a similar mark to my own?" I ask, getting straight down to business.

"Wow, you don't play do you?" Cody laughs lightly, but I don't find it amusing.

"Well, I have a pack to take care of, and I can't do that when I'm causing mass destruction now can I?" I snap, my irritation getting the best of me. Cody doesn't seem bothered by my own impatience and deep down I am grateful.

"Yes, well. What happened this morning? Let's start with that." He says, sitting On a nearby Boulder. I sit next to him, ignoring Blake's uncomfortable glare, and go over the story from the beginning. When I finish, Cody's eyes are huge.

"Your a lightning shifter?" He asks excitedly. I nod, and Cody grins. I didn't like it one bit. "I am a sun shifter. It may sound boring, but it is more exciting than you think."

"So, now that you know everything, can you teach me to control it?" Looking him straight in the eyes, I wait for a reply.

"Yes, and it's actually quite simple. The first step to controlling your power is to control your emotions. What happened this morning was because of jealousy, therefore the outcome was bad. Believe it or not, you can do great things with your powers." Cody says, and I'm surprised by the wiseness in his voice. "So for today, we are going to try and control your emotions so your powers don't get out of control like they did this morning."

"OK I'm ready." I say surly, waiting for directions. Blake and the rest of the males stood watching intently as Cody stood up in front of me.

"When you think positive thoughts, it will reflect off your powers, and good things will happen. Observe." He pulls put a wallet, then grabs a small picture of a woman I've never seen before. He then smiles lightly, and a ray of sun breaks through the trees, shining on the picture. My jaw drops, and I almost forget how to raise it. I look at our audience, and see similar results.

"That was amazing!" I say to Cody, who still had a ghost of a smile on his face. "But who was that woman?"

"That, was my mate, Violet." He puts the picture back in his wallet, and walks back over to me.

"Now Madi, I want you to try and rein in your remaining jealousy, and try and focus on something you love dearly. When you grasp that thing, think of the light they bring to your life, and guide it." The look on my face must have been extreme, because Cody smiles at my reassuringly. "It will come to you, don't worry. It's in your blood."

I nod, and close my eyes. I think of something that completes me; makes me whole. I think of Blake. Even if he was being a jerk, I still loved him. I think of him kissing me softly, whispering sweet nothings in my ear, and suddenly, I feel like I'm floating. My weight feels paper light, and I revel I it. Gasps sound through the clearing, but I ignore them. I then feel a warmth spreading through my body, and I grasp it just like Cody says. I direct that light and warmth to Blake, and then I finally open my eyes.

Blake, a surprised look in his eyes, stood several feet off the ground, rays of sun hitting him everywhere, making him glow. I look down, and see that I too have floated above ground, light pouring out of me a well, as if I was a mini sun.

"Very good Madi! Now, rein in the warmth, and gently set Blake on his feet." Cody instructs, and I slowly let go of the warmth. Blake starts to descend to the forest floor, but suddenly I lose the warmth all together, and he falls to the ground In a huff.

"I'm sorry Blake! It was an accident! I re-" I'm cut off when Blake's lips crush against my own. He he got over here so fast, or how he was even able to reach me with how high I was surprised me, but the kiss immediately calmed me down.

It made me feel whole.

**********************