Chapter 29 - Pain in the neck.

A man greets us with a small nod and a welcoming smile and my breath is taken away by the beauty of the lobby. It's white; very white with lots and lots of pot plants scattered in certain places. There's a three step stair case that leads you to the heart of the lobby and further on in the left is the Stained white marble stoned front desk where I guess you check in.

To my right there's a selection of elevators. It's a lot clinical then the Malik hotel, but it reminds me a lot of the Malik hotel as well. I bite my lip as I look up and stare, fascinated with the beautiful crystal chandelier that's almost as big as the one in the Malik heritage hotel.

"Zayn Malik. It's good to see you again." A beautiful blonde smiles warmly at Zayn and I. He lets go of my hand as she grasps his upper arms and he places his hand on her elbow. She kisses both sides of his cheeks, a warm gesture, before she leans down to give me a brief hug. I feel a little stunned. She's beautiful. Her eyes are so warm and enchanting of a tropical blue.

"Miss Kyles, it's a pleasure to see you." Zayn greets her coolly. His posture is stiff and regarding like he's treating her like an employee. I've seen him like this when he's talking to Leigh, his assistant. She seems sweet.

"I'm afraid we haven't met." She says to me. She's British? I tilt my head at her, captivated by her elegance and serene beauty. Her salon hair is in long waves and perfectly shaping her face. I could mistaken her for a hair model. "Caren Kyles." She formally greets herself, flicking her hair over her shoulder before holding out her well manicured hands.

"Re. Nice to meet you." I say as we shake hands. I feel insecure standing gawky and less graceful in front of her.

"From your short notice Zayn, we are unable to give you the penthouse for the night, but the level below is welcome for your use." She smiles and I don't have to guess that she's slightly attracted to him. I don't blame her.

"Thank you Caren. Any news on your mother?" He questions. I frown momentarily as I look at Zayn who's staring at Caren impassively.

She bites her lip and I glare at her suddenly. I know what kind of effect that has on Zayn! "She's well, thank you Zayn."

"Please inform me. I endeavour to help. Always." He states, voice curt.

She nods, seeming as if she's composed herself and flashes a smile my way. "I know. Thank you. I hope you two enjoy your night." She stares at me warily and confused for a split second and hides it away just as fast. Is this some kind of business thing? Staying poker faced all the time?

I see her gaze flick down my body once more but then she stops on my neck and I realise I have a hickey! Quickly, I look to my left as if I was gazing around the hotel.

Oh she's judging me. I would be too if I was her. How could someone so attractive, Zayn, be standing next to someone who looks like they're from the trailer park, me.

"Thank you Miss Kyles." Zayn says, dismissing her and grabbing my elbow, pulling me away from my low self-esteem warning.

I gather my hair to the side, hiding the stupid hickey and making sure it stays hidden.

"Do you own this hotel?" I question.

When I look at him he sighs. "Technically yes. But I'm just a silent partner."

"Silent partner? So this is just a side project. Who is she?"

"Caren Kyles. She's my business partner and also Emma's daughter." He leads me to the elevator on the far right and lets go of my hand to press the up button.

Emma?! The cougar has a daughter?! For a split second, I wonder if Caren has had any sexual relationship with Zayn. I bite my lip as he falls silent. When I look over my shoulder to see Caren, she's staring at me. But when she sees I'm looking she straightens her posture and smiles. Oh she really does look like Emma.