Suspicions

"Oh! Sang!" she said a little too loudly to have been just out of surprise, it made me wonder just how many other little things like this I had let slip, without much thought, "Goodness, you're up early..." she let her sentence trail off as she sat down in a chair and cradled her cup.

I forced a smile, "Oh yeah, just thought I'd come out here and enjoy the fresh air," I said, not technically lying.

She seemed to buy it, and smiled while settling in her seat, "That's nice dear, did you and Oakley have any grand plans for the evening? Dad and I are going to head out to dinner with some old friends," she smiled fondly at the thought of her so called friends.

A bitter part of me wondered what she was up to with those men, what secrets they had all been talking about, but then the part of me who was eternally grateful to Oakley, and her family came forward. They saved me, the least I could do was not sneak around the house and suspect they're doing illegal things. I was torn as to which part to listen to.

"Yeah, we were thinking of an early movie and then maybe just hanging out around the house," I said, my voice somehow not reflecting the tornado that was stirring up all of my thoughts and knotting them up with doubts.

Mom smiled warmly, and all of the uncertainties temporarily faded from my mind, "That sounds fun, what movie?"

I shrugged and looked back out at the yard, "We haven't really decided yet, I think we'll do that when Oakley gets up," I said thoughtfully.

After that we were quiet for a while, and I excused myself to go put away my dishes. Mom didn't get up and I hadn't heard any voices so I figured the house was safe to go in, that the guys had left. Likely they had left the moment Mom had come outside, and her unnaturally loud greeting had just been a precaution.

I made my way to the living room, pulling the laptop that sat on the table towards me. I recognized it as Oakley's and when I opened it up I was surprised to see it unlocked. It was opened to a search engine that had brought up all of the movies that were playing near by tonight. There was a second tab opened to a cinema that wasn't the closest, but I could tell why she had opened that page up.

"You want to go see what I want to go see?" Oakley said, walking into the living room in her lime green slippers, messy bun, and pajamas.

I raised an eyebrow, noting how she didn't actually say what she wanted to watch," Would it happen to be playing at one-thirty?"

A grin lit up her face, "See I knew there was a reason I liked you," she said and sat down next to me, eating her yogurt.

For a moment I wondered if I should tell her what I had overheard. We told eachother everything.. but for some reason I felt like I should be keeping this little bit of information to myself. It wasn't like I was keeping something from her... I just wanted to get a little bit more to tell before I went around telling her that I thought her mom was doing something behind her back.

Or it could be nothing and I could just look like an idiot for reading too much into things, besides, what would she think if she knew I had literally gone out of my way to sneak around the house and spy on the lady who took me in and treated me just like she treated her own daughter. The lady who has spent more money, time, and affection on me in the last week or so, than I'd ever had spent on me in my entire life.

This thought alone brought my obsessing to an abrupt halt, and I decided to let it drop, "Oh so it's not just my insanely great singing voice?" I asked with a grin.

Oakley nearly choked on her yogurt, "Sang you sing like a donkey giving birth, and while I don't mind it, it's definitely not a selling point."

She was giving me a straight, serious face but after a few seconds of looking at eachother, we both burst out into laughter.