The Beginning

The days and hours blended together until it was time to start getting ready for the ball. I hadn't heard anything I shouldn't have, and the information I did hear was far from the center of my mind. The boys had kept a constant stream of texts ready, not that I answered right away. It was easy for nine guys to take up all of my time, but I refused to let Oakley feel like she was being cheated, though I know she'd been pretty distracted by her phone sometimes too.

We never pried or asked who each other was talking to, but it wasn't hard to guess. The dresses were fitted, the jewelry Dad had bought us would go perfectly with it, and everything felt like it was falling into place for the summer. Funny how we almost missed out on the water park for packing, it was almost surreal to think how different things might be, even though it was only a couple of days ago.

I had gone out to visit Aspen again, and she followed me home. So far no one had noticed the cute little owl taking refuge in the spot where the attic vent should have been on the roof. She came in and out as she pleased, and last night I had even been gifted some sort of present, a mouse, on my windowsill.

"Sang, chika, can you pass me the eyeliner," Oakley frowned and pointed, "no that one, the one with the- yeah, thanks," she beamed at me as I handed over the specified eyeliner.

I leaned towards my own part of the bathroom mirror, inspecting my face as if I had a clue what I was doing, "You're going to dance with me, right?" I asked, making a face at my reflection.

Oakley had also leaned towards the mirror, and I watched as she skillfully applied the eyeliner to her bottom and top eyelids, I wondered how I was supposed to even be seen standing next to her. Her natural beauty was simply stunning, but add some blush here, eyeliner there, and a dab of lipstick to highlight her already good features, and it left something that resembled art. I turned back to myself, tilting my head as I tried to picture turning my more subtle good looks into something that shined.

Nothing came to mind, so I settled for messing with my hair instead.

"Of course," she said, her words a bit muffled due to the cap she had held between her lips. She finished with her eyes and turned towards me while tossing the eyeliner onto the counter, "I'll have to request that our song be played," a grin, "even if it's not exactly ball material."

I wasn't given the opportunity to tell her just how bad that idea was, especially if it was a work related ball, because she suddenly started to attack my face with make up items I didn't even know the name of. Okay attack is a strong word, especially because she barely did anything and it took about fifteen minutes tops.

"Sang I swear if you blink while I'm doing this I'll make you do the chicken dance all alone," She said while bringing some metal contraption to my face.

After that threat, I was completely still. She then moved onto my hair, which took much longer as she decided to take my usually straight hair and give it some really loose curls and then pin certain parts up to look like a crown. The mirror reflected a smiling, happy stranger that I knew I would come to know really well if I got to stay here with this new family.

Oakley straightened her hair, and then we worked together to clean up the mess we had created all over the counter. While we worked Oakley cleared her throat and then fell silent. In the mirror I could see her struggling to come up with the words she was trying to say. I saw her open her mouth only to close it, and then I turned my attention down to the drawer I was organizing.

Did she see or hear something she wasn't supposed to?

I pushed the drawer shut and turned towards the door, her voice halting me, "Sang?" I turned around to look at her and raised my eyebrow.

She pursed her lips and then put her hands on her hips, "If you want to date one of those guys I won't let our promise stand in the way of something that could blossom," she had a guilty expression on her face and I couldn't help but feel my stomach drop out.

"Do, I mean," I cleared my throat, "Do you like any of them?"

Her eyes widened and then to my utter astonishment she burst into laughter. I stood there completely lost like an idiot while she fought to regain her composure. When she finally managed to do it, she smiled warmly at me and wiped a tear from her cheek.

"Let's just hurry and get ready," She said, shaking her head with a grin.

Confused, I followed her while trying to muster up the words that evaded me so that I could ask just what had been so hilarious about the question. Oakley walked over to the closet in her room which both of our dresses hung. She opened it up and brought out my bag first, and then hers. Together we unzipped the garment bags and pulled out the sparkling dresses, and the shoes that matched.

My eyes widened as I looked over the beautifully made dress, somehow it looked even prettier now that it was in front of me. The shoes looked more extravagant and when I quickly threw down my lazy day clothes and slipped on the dress, it felt like I was swimming without the water. I strapped on the shoes, instantly growing a few inches, and then fixed my owl necklace so that it rested right before the split of my breasts.

I felt like something born and raised out of a fairy tale, and I wasn't sure I hated the feeling. A glance over at Oakley and a gasp left my lips. She looked like a princess, ready for her royal ball. She beamed over at me while playing with her necklace.

"You look gorgeous Sang," she said, walking over without so much as a stumble in her shoes.

She looped her arm in mine and together we grabbed our little clutch purses and headed downstairs. At the landing of the stairs Dad was tying up his bowtie and mom was standing near the door in a fitted silk gown and a pair of heels that made mine and Oakley's look like toys.

"Oh don't you two just look marvelous!" Oakley cooed as she skipped over to her father and pecked his cheek.

He looked at her and then at me and I could have sworn there were tears in his eyes, something of a glimmer or a sparkle, "You two look so grown up!" he said and then cleared his throat as if trying to regain some of his manliness, "The driver will be here in about five minutes or so, are you two ready?"

Oakley and I exchanged a grin, before nodding at Dad. He nodded and walked outside after kissing the top of his wife's head, mumbling about needing a shot gun. Mom smiled at us both.

"You keep growing up too fast and he's going to try to build a time machine," she teased before wrapping both of us up into one of the few motherly hugs I'd ever had in my life.

I wanted to linger, to soak up the feeling and morph it into courage so that my nerves could be battled into submission. But I didn't, because after what felt like a second, Oakley had begun to pull away, so I followed her movements. They would have understood, but it didn't make it any less awkward for me to show that I craved the feeling of family, and when I got it, sometimes I didn't want to let go.

"Alright," Mom clapped her hands together and smiled at both of us, "Let's go!"

Together as a trio we walked out the door, Mom paused to lock it behind us and Oakley and I looped arms. The limousine that pulled up to the curb stole my breath and I exchanged a look with Oakley. She turned back to her mother while I waited by her side.

"That's for us?"

Mom looked confused for a moment before smiling, "Yes darling girls, that's our ride."

I turned back towards the limo and sucked in a breath while Oakley giggled and tugged me forward. We climbed in after thanking the older gentleman who held the door open, and buckled up. The limo was spacious, with a snack section and a wine selection. Dad poured us all a cup and handed Oakley and I the glasses that were significantly emptier compared his his and Mom's.

"To a good night," he said.

And as we all clinked our cups together I was starting to feel like this wouldn't be a good night, but one of the best.