Attack on Port Royal

Milah lays in her rickety single bed, lost in a deep sleep. Her dreams though are rather strange and  quite terrifying.

She is a little girl again, dancing around the deck of a ship and swaying harmoniously with waves below. She could see members of the crew busy with their own duties but couldn't make out their faces, their features blurred through lost memories.

Milah hears the slight squeak underneath her boots as she walks up the stairs to the top deck where she spots her father, tall and proud as he stands at the wheel. His dark hair is hidden underneath his hat and his long black cloak flows around him in a slight breeze. His expression is stern and brown eyes locked on the ocean ahead.

She comes to stand beside him, drawing his attention towards her. She watches as his expression softens and he pats her head softly.

The day seemed normal, just another day out on the open water. So why did it feel like the calm before the storm?

"Captain!" There is sudden cry from the crow's nest and Milah looks upwards and sees the face of Peter, one of the more younger crew members, hanging over the edge. "We've got trouble!"

Just moments after his shout of warning, there is a shockingly loud boom of canon fire and the ship rocks under the sudden onslaught. Milah could faintly hear her father start yelling out orders to the crew because, out of nowhere, is another ship, firing cannonball after cannonball into theirs. She hears the screams of her crew as they are flung across the deck from an explosion, the loud shouts of her father as he orders the men to get into attack positions and the sound of wood shattering under the attack.

It all happened so fast and unexpected that Milah barely registers anything happening until she feels the ground in front of her blasting apart. The force was enough to send her flying and the last thing she hears was her father screaming her name before she is submerged in the water.

A loud bang shocks Milah out of her dream. She blinks tiredly looking around the darkness of her room, wondering what the sound was. It follows again and again. She freezes instantly as it registers.

She knew that sound.

Canon fire.

Milah jumps like lightning up from her bed and without a moments thought she pulls on her jacket and boots. She rushes out of her small house only to narrowly dodge the screaming towns people as they race past hysterical and panicked. The people seem to run in all directions as building rubble comes tumbling down from the destruction of the canons.

Streets, buildings, docks and ships shatter and explode beneath the onslaught of an unknown ship's canons. The people let out panicked screams and shouts as they run for cover and dodge flying debris the best they can. If this is not hell on earth, then it's about to be.

Milah couldn't see the attacker itself, the ship surrounded in a thick, heavy fog but she wonders if she should consider that more of a blessing. In the sky, the moon has become obscured by smoke rising from the burning gallows and wooden roofs. Cannon fire continues to rain down, but the fort's own cannons now return fire, the fort shaking from the explosions.

She hears the sound of maniacal laughter followed by whoops of glee. Looking forward, she sees groups of prates racing through the town, setting fire to every building they come across and terrorising the people, relishing in their screams.

"Milah!" She looks around at the sound of Will's yell and grasps hold of the sword he threw her way just in time. The two best friends trained with the swords they made at least three hours a day, so they could always defend and protect themselves when the situation called for it; a situation just like this one.