Chapter 2- You're Giving Me A Headache

Lena had the decency to drop me off at the main entrance of the school, wincing once more at my outfit, before going to find a parking space.

"Mai!!!" My overexcited best friend squealed attacking me with a hug. I uncomfortably peeled her off me, trying- and failing- to ignore the weird stares we were getting by other early comers.

"Whoa" she said, finally able to see me (seeing as she was no longer strangling me and all) "You look....something."

"Don't Lauryn. Just, don't." I stated, annoyance still clear in my voice.

"You still doing that yellow thing?" She asked, a pained look on her face as she eyed my attire.

"Yep" I replied.

A couple of months ago, I discovered that no one, absolutely no one, I knew liked the colour yellow. So I know that there must be someone out there who does but until that moment comes, I have taken the liberty of the being the colour yellow's official representative. Which basically means that I always wear something yellow. Plus, it's fun to annoy my friends and family with it.

Lauryn rolled her eyes. "Only you could get away with that." She mumbled "Could you move over to the side your...brightness...is giving me a headache."

"Umm, excuse me" I began, gesturing dramatically to myself. "This is my favourite top so therefore, I look faboolous" I added jokingly.

Okay, so maybe it wasn't 'my favourite top' but Lauryn didn't need to know that. Plus my outfit wasn't that bad, I mean, I've worn worse. I was currently wearing a plain, long sleeve shirt- sleeves pushed up, with skinny dark blue jeans and peachy gold high tops. On my back was my yellow bag with 'coincidentally' matched the scrunchie which currently held my hair in a low ponytail (that my sister has been giving the evil eyes since I stepped into the kitchen).

"But literally the only thing non-yellow on you is your jeans."

"Technically, these" I pointed a foot forward, "are peachy gold." I said, earning an eye roll.

"Right. Plus, isn't your favorite top the one with that weird quote?" Oops so maybe she knew. Darn. "Anyway, you have yet to enlighten me on why you're here so early."

"Lena has some school meeting thing," I shrugged. Lauryn nodded urging me to continue as we made our way towards my locker.

"Is that why you keep rubbing your left shoulder? 'Cause it's starting to annoy me." Lauryn said, interrupting my rant.

"How sympathetic" I retorted, trying my locker combination.

"And also, couldn't your one of your parents take you?"

I shook my head as I tried to remember if I had any history homework. "My dad's still on that business trip. He doesn't come back till like Thursday. Plus Monday's are my mum's off days since her promotion. We aren't allowed to wake her up if" I face Lauryn, making quoting gestures with my hands. "The house isn't on fire or we aren't in immediate danger."

"Doesn't your house being on fire count as immediate danger?" Lauryn asked.

"Who knows what's goes on in her mind?" I replied closing my locker.

"I guess maybe not immediate if it was at the other side of the building. Plus it takes ages before you actually die. I mean-"

"So basically," I interrupted leaning against my locker and sighing theatrically "my life is a living tragedy." I placed a hand in my forehead and gazed into the distance with what I hoped was a forlorn look on my face.

Lauryn snorted. Rude. "Please, Mai. Everyone knows your life is practically perfect. I mean your dad is..."

I've heard this speech a thousand times. It's the 'Mai has the perfect grades, family, looks, life and anything to have ever existed'. I mean sure, it's flattering at first. But then, it's gets really annoying- especially you don't really believe it yourself. I reluctantly zoned in for the last of Lauryn's speech.

"...sister who practically rules the school. That and the fact that you're already nice to everyone, means that even the goths love you. Or at least, not hate you."

I rolled my eyes at her stereotypical comment. If she thought I was perfect I wonder what she thinks of my sister. I could write an essay on how perfect Lena is. But that would be weird...and kind of creepy...

"Oh would you look at the time!" I finally say "we better head to homeroom now or we'll be late!"

"You don't even have a watch!"

"But you do." I grabbed Lauryn's hand- catching her off guard slightly- grinning as I dragged her down the busy hallways.