Chapter 37- A Different Kind of Fireworks

New Year's Eve is cold and bitter, but that doesn't stop loud crowds from congregating in the park.

Someone is handing out sparklers and one or two fireworks have already been set off early by accident, but other than that, everything seems to be running smoothly. Nothing seems to be able to deter people from being able to see the biggest firework display in town.

Or really, the only one in town. (If you didn't count the private display our super rich old neighbours had set up exclusively for their equally super rich old friends).

We only arrived 15 minutes ago but I have already managed to lose Lena, my parents and the few relatives who decided to stay a while longer for the New Year. I was trapped in a sea of strangers- well, except for Aunt Wanda and Ronnie who have already been here for half an hour.

"But, Mom," Ronnie whines, "I wanna see the fireworks."

Aunt Wanda has been insisting that they needed to go home for a while now, claiming Ronnie's bedtime had passed over an hour ago; and Ronnie wasn't having any of it. He had managed to stall aunt Wanda for a few extra minutes by dropping his sparkler on the ground, though, his constant yawning wasn't really helping his argument.

"Maybe next year honey," Aunt Wanda coos after Ronnie yawns a fourth time. She carries a reluctant (though now too sleepy to really care) Ronnie away, waving to me before they disappear into the crowds. "Bye, Mai! Tell your parents I said goodbye as well!"

"I will!" I ensure, returning her wave. "Happy New Year!"

Things were pretty boring for the next couple minutes before I went in search of someone I actually knew. It doesn't take me long before I find Ethan and the twins snickering over a prank one of them had just pulled.

"Mai!" they exclaim in unison when they see me.

"You're alive!" Jodie adds on with surprise and a hint of sarcasm in her tone.

"We didn't think you were going to come unless we'd have come find you," Ethan says in an apologetic tone.

"It's no problem," I reply quickly, rubbing the back of my neck, "I have been pretty distant lately..."

"Yeah, you have," Ryan says with a deep frown. "Are you okay now?"

"I think I will be," I say, straightening up. "But we can talk about that later. How have your holidays been so far?"

Ryan and Jodie look at each other and shrug. "This same as usual," Jodie admits.

"Maybe a bit more boring," Ryan interjects.

"But overall, it wasn't that bad," Jodie completes.

"Same for me, I guess," Ethan agrees. "Though, it sucks we haven't been able to meet up much this year. It's practically tradition."

"Yeah... I'm blaming Lauryn for that one," I say jokingly. "I think her still being in Costa Rica has thrown us all off. She's usually the one organizing these things."

They all nod in agreement.

"True," Jodie says. "By the way, when is she coming back?"