Chapter 4- Little Kids Are Kind of Like Animals Right?

I am dead.

Well, not literally, but very close to it. No, I wasn't in one of those situations where I was trapped between three off-looking dudes who were planning on doing something more than mug me. I mean, it's still daylight. Jeez. No, my problem was quite different. I was lost.

I had gotten of the bus a couple minutes ago and was currently glaring at my phone in frustration. The directions Ethan forwarded made no sense whatsoever. "Why can't you just grow legs and show me the way yourself?!" I huffed angrily.

Great. So now I'm arguing with inanimate objects.

"I'm not permitted to do that for you, Mai." The electronic voice said back.

I took in a deep breath, carefully placing my phone in my pocket to stop myself from smashing it.

"It's a new phone Mai." I chanted "You don't want to destroy your new phone. No matter how annoying it gets."

I readjusted my backpack and plastered a fake smile on my face. "I am calm" I repeated as I looked for a sign. "I am calm."

"Neverly Avenue" I sighed, relieved. I kind of knew where I was now. Who needed technology anyways? Well, I did. But that's beside the point.

I continued to walk. The fake smile on my face now replaced with a serene, less deranged looking smile. I was cool, calm and collected. Cool, calm and collecte-

"Omigod!" I shrieked "Is that blood?" I examined my shoes cautiously.

I slowly turned around to see a golden retriever lying on the grass edge by the sidewalk. My expression softened. I slowly made my way towards the injured dog. Wait, I thought, how could I have missed that? Good point. Because you have been prancing like an idiot with you eyes partly closed. Also a good point. It's a wonder I hadn't run into a lamppost. Yet.

I averted my attention back to the dog. Its golden brown fur was tinged with red. On closer look, I identified the source of all the blood. There was a deep cut on its front left leg. My eyebrows furrowed as I tried to figure out where that might have come from. I sighed. I suppose it wasn't that useful at the moment.

Grimacing, I crouched down closer to the poor animal. So much for cool, calm and collected. I checked its neck for a collar. Great, so no identification. At least it was still alive. Now, I just had to figure out how to bring it home...

❊ ❊ ❊

"Mom! I'm home!" I said, grateful the door was unlocked.

"Mai! You're back." My mom called from the kitchen. Well, nooo. "I got Lena's text. You oka-" she lingered on the last word as she walked into the foyer. "Oh"

"Hi..." I said awkwardly, shifting in my position. My mom crossed her arms over her top. She was dressed casually in a large t-shirt and jeans that were she had probably had since the 90s, her shoulder length brown hair in a loose bun.

"Honestly Mai," she sighed "I let you walk home alone for a day and you nearly kill a dog."

"Mom," I stated, of course my mother would think that "I did not nearly kill a dog. Or any animal for that matter. In fact, I'd like to think I rescued her."

"Her?" My mom raised an eyebrow totally disregarding the rest of my statement.

"I checked." I said "now can you help me?"

"Honey, I'm a pediatrician not a vet." My mom began.

"Little kids are kind of like animals, right?" I pleaded half-jokingly. My mom rolled her eyes.

"I guess, we can at least stop her bleeding" She sighed giving in. "We should take her into the kitchen."

"Isn't that kind of unsanitary?" I voiced out loud.

"And blood over your shirt isn't?" Touché. She probably would have been mad over this fact- if not for her distaste for the color yellow herself.

"At least it wasn't my favorite one" I shrugged letting my mom take Goldie (my name for the dog- seeing as I didn't know her real name) off me.

"You should go change." She instructed. I saluted, swiveling on my right foot as I directed myself towards the stairs.

___

So it's me again... I know you probably already know what a golden retriever looks like but I couldn't resist. So here's 'Goldie'. Golden retrievers are probably my favorite breed of dogs other than Labradors and Yorkshire terriers. What's yours?
Carmen~