Chapter 21- Match Made in Comic Con

"Ellie!" A familiar sounding voice chides, "You can't just start a conversation like that. It's considered rude."

I squint upwards to make out the figure, and confirm my thoughts, "Cameron?"

"The one and only." He confirms before pausing, "Except if there are other people called Cameron. Which there probably are. I'll rephrase that, hi."

"What are you doing here?" I say, too stunned to acknowledge his mini word-vomit, "I thought parties weren't your thing?"

He raises his hand up in protest when noticing my accusing glare, "It's not. I'm taking Ellie trick-or-treating."

My glare softens as it shifts from Cameron to his younger sister. She does a small twirl on her sparkly red roller skates, a smile plays on my lips as I identify her costume, "Dorothy?"

She sends me a grin, pleased I recognized her character, "Hollie was supposed to be Toto but Cameron said it was animal cruelty to paint golden retrievers black." She adds, with a small frown in Cameron's direction.

"Well, I love it anyway." I offer, sending Cameron a mock discouraging look to appease Eliza.

"I like you guys's too!" Eliza compliments, gesturing to the rest of my friends (who were simply sat there, watching us idly like a soap opera or something), "A boy in my class wore a PowerRanger costume too."

Eliza's comment didn't exactly have the desired effect on the gang who all turned to glare at Lauryn. She simply just shrugged again.

"So, how come you're over here, anyway?" Cameron asks, changing the subject. "I thought you were going to a Halloween party?"

"We were." I admit, "Except we sort of went to the wrong house, sort of got creeped out by creepy animatronics and then sort of ran out on the poor guy who was hosting the party."

"We also sort of have it on video." Ethan adds with a mischievous grin.

Cameron raises an eyebrow, his eyes dancing between the 6 of us. "So... What are you guys going now?"

I shrug, "Probably just going to sit here until nine, then walk back to Ryan and Jodie's and throw ourselves a pity party."

Next to me I hear Jodie mutter something like 'that's probably true' to Alyssa.

"You guys can come with us, if you want." Cameron offers after a moment's contemplation, "We have a couple spare bags. And I mean, it's only half 7 now and I have to get Ellie home before 8:30, but hey, free candy, right?"

I bite my lip in thought, twisting round to look at the others for confirmation, they shrug in agreement. "Sure." I say, with a wide smile.

"Come on Rangers, let's go go go." Ryan says sarcastically as he slowly gets up. Ellie giggles while the rest of us groan.

"Please, never say that again, Ry." Ethan winces.

"Even I have to agree." Lauryn adds with a disapproving look of her own as she dusts the dirt of her red jumpsuit.

I stretch out a hand, too lazy (as usual), to attempt getting up myself. Cameron notices, and after an eye roll (not dissimilar to Lauryn's whenever she's on 'dragging Mai up' duty), he takes my hand and helps pull me up to my feet.