Chapter 6- Tsk Such A Daddy's Girl

"Lauryn, I'm sure your grandmother isn't that bad."

"You've never met a traditional African woman, have you." Lauryn deadpanned. I could feel her irritation even through a phone call.

I pondered on this for a moment. I considered saying my family went to Egypt once but I doubt she'd have acknowledged my answer. My family and I were the typical tourists- we took an an unnecessary amount of pictures by the pyramids and the Sphinx then hopped back on the plane with too many souvenirs. "No," I finally replied, "I guess not."

"Exactly." Lauryn said. "It's times like this I wish my father's mother was still alive. Then I could alternate between the two. Though knowing my luck, she'd probably be able to track her ancestry back to the early pilgrims and insist on acting like one too." She mused on.

Lauryn was of mixed race. She inherited her darkly tanned skin and curly dark hair from her mother and unique blue eyes from her dad. There aren't many people like Lauryn in our school. Which I guess, is another reason she's one of the prettiest girls there.

"At least she gives you food?" I replied although it sounded more like a question than a statement. When Lauryn was in a ranting mood, it's better to let her get it all out first. Then try to calm her down.

"That is true..." Lauryn agreed, "I mean, I guess Granny Tito isn't always bad. Except for the fact that she refuses to speak English although she's perfectly fluent in it. And she hates practically everyone."

"She doesn't hate me?"

"Yeah, but Mai that's 'cause you're too perfect." Lauryn dismissed "But..." I heard a small gasp "What if she hates Connor?!" She added panicking.

Connor was Lauryn's boyfriend of two months. He sometimes hung out with the group- especially when the guys felt 'they were outnumbered'. However, he was either usually with just Lauryn or his own group of sporty friends.

Lauryn was now full on panicking, muttering incoherent phrases. I was about to reply when I heard a familiar particularly loud squeak from downstairs.

"Dad!" Lena squealed.

I jumped off my bed and hurried to the window. Sure enough, our father's signature Lamborghini was parked in the drive way.

"Look, Lauryn," I said hurriedly into my phone, "I've got to go now. I'm sure you're grandmother won't hate Connor. Talk later?"

"I'll text you." Lauryn sighed before I cut off, halfway through our goodbyes.

❊ ❊ ❊

I leaped down the stairs into the living room where Lena was currently choking- I mean hugging, our father. I shook my head internally. Tsk tsk. She's such a daddy's girl.

"Maple syrup!" My dad said, when Lena finally let go.

"Daddy!" I rushed into my father's arms at the sound of the childhood nickname. Fine. Maybe I was one too.

I shrieked as he attempted to lift me up, spinning me around. My mom, meanwhile stood next to us with her arms crossed, and an amused expression.

"How was Singapore?" Lena asked a moment later, an equally wide grin on her face.

"Great." Dad replied. "Oh, plus I have something for you girls." He added motioning to all of us with his index finger before exiting the room.

He came back a minute later with a fairly large bag in his hand. "Souvenirs!" I said as he approached.

Dad handed a Singaporean hand-carved wooden phone case to Lena, placed a gold plated orchid necklace around my mom's neck, and for me a snow globe with a miniature Merlion inside.

I smiled, pleased he remembered about my snow globe collection. I gave my father a quick kiss on the cheek, thanking him before heading back up to add it to my collection.

My mom was saying something about dinner but I was already within the pale, creamy yellow walls of my pastel themed room to pay attention. I had a small smile on my face as I walked towards the white shelf and carefully placed the snow globe after my Russian one.

My dad definitely did travel a lot but I think, it made the times when we were all together as a family more special. Wow, I sound so cheesy. I'm such a daddy's girl.

___

Quite a short chapter. Then again. Aren't they all? Eh. Photo is a Merlion statue in Merlion Park in Singapore. Does look kinda of creepy but who am I to judge.
Carmen~