BATES

This book is about to be over I'm going to cry. This will probably be the longest part I've written in this book.

Don't forget to comment and vote

Warning: this chapter contains violence that some readers may find disturbing

Bates

The following weeks ahead were great. Landon and I spent a lot of time together, usually having Emmy with us. She sometimes kept to herself -- she knew we wanted time together, alone. And it was great, just Landon and I. Things were getting really good for me, honestly. Ever since I realized I was my own person dragging my self down, I had become on terms with what I wanted in life.

Nobody was going to drag me down. Not even myself.

I kissed Landon quite quickly before setting off to get Emmy. My mom and Andrew had begun to stay at home a lot. But that didn't mean their drinking problem was resolved. No, they still drunk every single night. Not that it mattered, anyway, because we were used to it. Plus, we tried to stay clear out of their way -- and not to talk back -- in sakes of getting locked out of the house once again, purposefully.

But once Emmy and I arrived at home, our mom and Andrew were in their room, more than likely drinking or sleeping. They were quiet so they were probably asleep.

I gave Emmy a cut up apple for snack. She sat at the table, singing softly and moving in her chair. "Oh, guess what?" Emmy spoke up, looking up after chewing a mouthful of apples. "I got a one hundred on my spelling test."

"You did?!?" I smiled widely at her, excitement bubbling inside me. "I'm so proud!" The night before we had studied together to make sure she'd remember how to spell the words. And with me studying with her, it seemed to help.

"Mhm," she nodded and smiled, looking just as proud of herself as I was.

Still smiling, I sat down beside her. "Any homework today?"

She shook her head no.

"That's good," I nodded. "But I do," I frowned and she made a funny face just to make me smile.

Later on, we watched and movie, ate dinner, Emmy took a bath, and then we went to bed.

Once I woke up in the morning, I walked into the kitchen. My mom, who was seated at the table was passed out. Andrew was passed out on the couch, the empty bottle on the floor. Emmy didn't say anything about them except frown the slightest before going into the bathroom to brush her hair and brush her teeth.

"Ready?" I asked Emmy as I finished tying my shoes. She nodded, still not speaking, and we left.

"You alright?" I questioned her as she still hasn't uttered a single word to me.

"Yeah," she said, yawning, "I'm tired."

"Okay, just making sure," I said, shivering from the cold. "Are you warm?"

"Yeah," she nodded, stuffing her hands in her jacket. "Bye Bates!" She waved at me as she skipped over to the elementary school. I waved goodbye to her and watched her walk in before walking to my school. Once I arrived, Landon, Alice, Jessie, and Jonas was already there. They were inside of course, it was too chilly outside to be waiting, honestly. Emmy and I would have to start riding the bus or something.

Jessie and Alice were chatting amongst themselves, smiling and laughing. Like Jonas, I wish they'd get together soon. I kissed Landon on the forehead, greeting her. "How are you this morning, beautiful?"