Chapter One

Forty-one year old Scott Calvin tightly gripped his car's steering wheel as he backed out of his parking spot at B&R Toys. He and his marketing partner, Susan, had to show up to the company Christmas party because they were being honored for their successful ad campaign of the Do-It-All-For-You-Dolly. But the party had caused Scott to run late for his Christmas Eve plans.

The Calvin clan was scattered all over the place now a days. Scott and his ex-wife Laura had two kids together. Jessica, was the oldest at sixteen. Jessie got along with her dad best and always took his side during arguments. She was short for her age, only four feet, ten inches tall. She had her dad's straight brown hair, but her mother's deep green eyes. Charlie, the youngest, was only eight years old and he had long ago passed that age where his dad was his only hero. Charlie lived with his mother and her husband, Neil. Neil was a psychiatrist and he was always psychoanalyzing Scott and his kids. But for whatever reason Charlie idolized him. It killed Scott that his son liked that creep better. Though He knew he really only had himself to blame. After all Scott had agreed to the current custody arrangement where Charlie lived with his mother and Jessie stayed with her father. The kids spent alternating holidays with their parents, and this year it was Scott's turn to have both kids. Speeding down the highway, Scott pulled out his phone and called his ex-wife.

"Laura?" He questioned the answering machine. "I was hoping to catch you before you'd left your house. I ran real late today. You wouldn't believe the traffic out here!" At that moment some lady swerved in front of him from out of nowhere. She passed Scott, but not before holding up her middle finger to him. "Yeah, same to you! And that's not very ladylike!" He shouted, still on the phone with Laura's answering machine. "Anyway, I'll try to get to my house as soon as I can...Oh there's the problem right there! Three car pile-up! I'm really going to be late."

With a proper excuse on Laura's answering machine, Scott hung up. He was just about to pocket his phone when it began to ring. Looking at the caller I.D. he saw that it was Jessie calling.

"Hey, Princess I know I'm running late..." He began to apologize.

"Oh you're going to be late too?" Jessie laughed from the other end of the phone. Too? Like father like Daughter. Scott thought to himself as Jess continued. "Mom's going to be twice as pissed..."

"Hey don't swear, you're a young lady!" Scott interrupted her.

"Whatever," Jess rolled her eyes at his 'I'm your father' tone. "Listen, Brian and I won't be able to make it back for Christmas Eve and we might not be back for Christmas Day either." Brian was Jessie's eighteen year old boyfriend. Together the two kids had gone up Maine to celebrate the holidays with Brian's family.

"What?" Scott questioned the receiver. "No! That wasn't part of the deal! I only agreed to let you go with Brian because you promised me that you'd be home in time to spend Christmas Eve with me and Charlie!"

"Well I'm sorry Daddy," Jess apologized. "But the roads are too icy tonight. Brian's mom said they might be travelable tomorrow."

"Well, do you need me to come get you?" Scott suggested.

"Dad please, I don't think your car could make it all the way here!" Jess laughed. "No I'll be fine up here for another night or two. Please enjoy your time with Charlie. You hardly see him anymore."

"Well if you're sure. We're going to miss you Princess."

"I know Dad. Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas." Scott sighed before hanging up the phone.

Charlie was sitting in the back of his stepfather's car with his head resting on his hands. His little eyes carefully watched every vehicle that passed. At long last Scott's car pulled into the driveway.