Chapter 1

Chapter One- An Arrangement

"Abby, hold still. Abby!" Madison chastised as she attempted to braid her sister's hair. The soft, golden strands could easily be put into a pretty braid, if only Abigail would stay still.

"Then stop pulling on them! You're hurting me," Abigail reproached.

"I wouldn't have to pull if you sat still," Madison said in a sing-song voice as she braided the last of the hair. "Done! See? If you sit still, it gets done right quick."

"It is done quickly," Charlotte corrected as she entered the room with a basket of clean laundry. She put the basket on the ground before going to the full-length mirror and adjusting her own braid and dress. Leave it to responsible, disciplined Charlotte to always correct the grammar of her younger sisters.

"Well Miss Charlotte, if you're done staring at yourself, I believe it's lunchtime and Momma is expecting us." Madison reproached in a mocking tone. Charlotte rolled her eyes but giggled at Madison, then the three girls left the bedroom.

Their mother and father were already seated at the dining room table, Momma fanning herself with a lace fan, and servants bustling around to set the food on the table.

"Girls! It's about time," Momma exclaimed in her musical, Southern drawl.

"Sorry, Momma." All three girls muttered as they took their seats. After Pop said Grace, everyone began to eat their fried chicken and collard greens.

"Charlotte, excellent news." Pop began as he cut his chicken. "Your fiancé will be arriving here shortly."

"He isn't my fiancé," Charlotte immediately corrected. She quickly bit her tongue and tried to redeem herself, "I only mean we haven't exchanged rings or anything. We haven't even met or seen each other before. It's an arrangement, not engagement. Um, how shortly?"

"Little after lunch, I s'pose." Pop chewed thoughtfully. "But I don't wanna hear no disrespect toward him when he arrives. All of us will be kind and polite folk. Show him our Southern hospitality. It'd be very beneficial if this arrangement did turn into an engagement, and soon."

"After lunch? Today?" Charlotte responded to the only thing she'd heard him say. "Why, that's only hours from now! Why didn't you tell us today was the day?"

"Charlotte," Momma hissed reproachfully.

"I'm only concerned that his rooms aren't ready or anything. Are the servants prepared for his arrival?" Charlotte corrected herself again.

"It was a bit short notice, I certainly didn't expect him till next week. But we were informed in time to prepare, and the servants are very capable. Are you alright, dear?"

"Yes, Pop. I'm alright, thank you." Charlotte gave a reassuring grin, but when everyone went back to eating their food, her face fell and she could feel her skin become clammy with nerves.

***

After lunch, the three sisters went back to the bedroom they'd dressed in, Abigail's room. Madison and Abigail plopped onto the bed as Madison asked Charlotte, "You really alright? You've never had to watch what you say that many times before."

"I'm fine, just surprised." Charlotte replied, going back to the mirror to fix her hair.

"Oh, are you nervous?" Abigail questioned. At Charlotte's scoff, Abby continued, "About meeting your future husband? You are nervous!"

She and Madison giggled as Charlotte rolled her eyes and said, "I will not stay in this room and listen to such nonsense." She tossed her head up at her sisters before leaving the room, hearing only more giggles as she closed the door behind her.