Chapter 5

Chapter Five- Escape

"Will!" Charlotte chased him out into the dewy night. "Will, wait!" He stopped but didn't turn to face her, his back rigid. She went around to stand in front of him and force his attention on her. He tried to turn away, but Charlotte grabbed his hair and smashed her lips against his. She gave him two passionate kisses, enough to break his stubbornness so his arms wrapped around her waist and held her close. Then they broke apart and just stood there, their foreheads touching and bodies pressed close.

"We shouldn't," Will told her, his breathing heavy. "Someone might see us."

Charlotte squeezed her eyes shut and sighed. "Let's just run away, Will. I want to go away with you and just be together."

Will chuckled, the sound low in his chest. "You wouldn't be able to. You may love me, but you also love your parents and your sisters. You couldn't abandon them."

"But--"

"Even I couldn't," he admitted. "Your Pop has always been good to me. I couldn't betray him like that."

"Then let's just tell him and Momma," she looked up into his eyes. "If they love us, they'll be fine with it."

"You misunderstand," Will gave her a small, sad smile. "They love you. They just think I'm a good worker. Yes, they're good to me, but they wouldn't give me their oldest daughter."

"I don't need anyone to give me to you," she whispered sadly. "I just need you. It's only been a day and I already cannot stand parading around with that uppity Crawley."

"You seemed cozy in there," Will commented as nonchalantly as he could, though Charlotte could hear his jealousy in his tone.

"That was nothing," Charlotte ruffled his hair slowly. "It's just you. It was always you for me."

Will bent his head and kissed her again, their lips smacking almost desperately together. Between kisses, Charlotte panted out, "I thought someone would see." Will only grunted in response. He brought his hands down lower on her waist and lifted her up so her legs wrapped around his waist. He walked them over to an area thick with trees and pressed her against the trunk of a tall cypress.

They became lost in each other the rest of the night.

***

A few days later, the ladies and Jed were sitting around the parlor table, looking at different tablecloths. Jed sat across from Abby, who was kicking him under the table in a playful manner. They'd gotten along quite well over the last few days, though their communication consisted mostly of funny looks across tables or giggling for no apparent reason. Mrs. Clandestine, Charlotte and Madison were also present, picking through the lacy materials, analyzing each piece carefully. They all looked the same to Jed, but he wasn't bothered; he had Abby.

"What about this one?" Momma asked, holding up a tablecloth. "It's simple, but very finely sewn. It's elegant."

"I don't know, Momma." Charlotte responded. That was her response to everything. Momma had told them to help her pick tablecloths for the house, but Charlotte knew they were actually picking cloths to cover tables at her wedding to Jed. Although they had been on a better foot at the dance, Charlotte had avoided Jed at all costs in the following days. He represented a threat, no matter how much he could crack a smile on her face.

"Well, I like it." Momma replied tartly. "And you seem to not know anything as of late. Perhaps it is time for a tea break."

"Not me, Momma!" Abby turned quickly to Mrs. Clandestine. "I want to go out."

"Go then, what can I say." Momma muttered begrudgingly. Abby jumped up and skipped out of the room. A moment later, as a servant poured tea into everyone's cup, she reappeared in the doorway, tying her bonnet. She made a face at Jed and indicated for him to go out with her. Once her bonnet was on securely, she winked at him and left.