Chapter 13

Chapter Thirteen- Loneliness

A week went by with Madison living with the newlyweds. Jed was hidden away downstairs in the office almost constantly everyday for that week, only coming out to use the bathing room. But Madison did turn out to be pleasant company for everyone, doing most of the talking during mealtimes when husband and wife wouldn't even look at each other, taking tea to everyone in the afternoons, spending days chatting with Charlotte. Charlotte loved having her sister with her, but there was only so much they could busy themselves with in the house while it poured outside. So one day, Charlotte stayed in bed and told Madison she planned on doing so for most of the day.

"Just go on and do what you want today," Charlotte told Madison as she cleared up the breakfast in bed she'd brought Charlotte. "I'll join you later. Maybe we'll have a late lunch, unless I just make it in time for supper."

"If you're sure," Madison shrugged. She looked at Charlotte one last time, holding her gaze. Somehow, they both knew Charlotte needed to be alone, and both realized Madison maybe needed it too. It had been nice sharing moments together, but sometimes grief needed its personal space.

Madison left, and Charlotte shuffled over to the window. She sat in the rocking chair right under the window and stared outside into the rain. It had become her favorite pastime, though she didn't know why. Perhaps it calmed her, eased her constantly racing mind. Either way, she liked to just and watch the rain whenever she could.

Madison went downstairs to the first floor and gave the servant girl Charlotte's breakfast plate. She went into her room and grabbed a book to read, stretching out on the bed. She managed to get through two pages, but just barely. For some reason, her mind kept racing, but the thoughts were unclear. She just couldn't concentrate on the words before her.

She looked at the time and saw only twenty minutes had gone by. She got up and went to the kitchen to make tea. The servant girl tried to tell Madison to let her make it, but Madison insisted. She needed to keep herself busy.

While the water boiled, she set up a tray with two teacups and the bowl of sugar and cup of milk. The water finished and she steeped the tea. Once the pot was ready, she grabbed the tray and went back upstairs. She opened the door slightly and was about to go in, but saw that Charlotte seemed lost in thought. The older sister was curled up in the rocking chair by the window, looking wistful. Madison decided not to bother her and just backed out of the room.

She went back downstairs, now at a loss for what to do. She was making her way to the parlor when the floorboard beneath her creaked. She looked down to see she was standing on the hidden door to the basement office. A thought popped into her head and she kneeled onto the ground carefully. Madison placed the tea tray onto the floor and then opened the hidden door. She ducked her head into the opening and looked down at Jed. He was at the desk, rifling through piles and piles of paper.

"Hello," she called down. He looked up and gave her a strained smile. "Would you like some tea?"

"Sure," he called up. "Just shut the door on your way down, there's a draft if it's left open."

Madison picked up the tray and stepped carefully onto the ladder. As she slowly stepped down, she closed the hidden door over them. The room was already a tad cool, no fire there to warm it, so Madison could understand why he wouldn't want anymore draft.

"Here, some hot tea to warm you." She mixed his cup, one sugar, just a drop of milk, and handed it to him.

"You already know how I like my tea," Jed observed. He smiled and said, "Thank you. You've been a comfort, to both of us, this past week."

"I'm glad," Madison sat down with her own cup and they both took a sip. She looked down and found enough courage to ask, "Is there something wrong between you two? Did you two have a lover's quarrel of some sort, and have not been able to move past it?"