Chapter 10 - Gonna Set Your Flag On Fire

I walked over to Hope, who was sitting in her crib in the living room and I went to pick her up.

"Hi, honey! Mama's here," I gave my daughter a smile. "Ooh!"

As I held her, I went to the kitchen where Elijah was making breakfast and I was about to grab a slice of tomato before his gaze made me stop. I looked up at him as I remembered last night, I saw him lean close and for a moment I thought he was going to kiss me but his lips landed on Hope's forehead instead. I walked away while he continued to make breakfast.

My ears perked up at the sound of an approaching car and then I heard Klaus' voice. I smiled and looked at my daughter as I walked towards the front door.

"Daddy's home!"

He was talking to Cami, who he had brought here for her own safety.

"I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of our family, the little troublemaker all the fuss has been about."

I opened the door and walked out onto the porch with Hope in my arms.

"Camille, this is Hope."

She looked at us with wide eyes. "Oh my God! But--you said--I thought she was--"

Klaus smiled as he looked at me and his daughter. "The only way to truly protect her was to convince the world of her death," he then turned to face Cami. "I hope you understand. Once it's safe for you to leave, our secret cannot leave with you."

She nodded in understanding before walking towards me, overcome with happiness. She went to grab her hand and Hope cooed at her. Cami and I both laughed.

"Oh, she's perfect!"

~*~*~

Klaus had told me that he had finally defeated his mother, she's currently in transition because Rebekah had laced her wine with vampire blood before Klaus killed her and I was happy to hear that. Now she will know the hell she put her children through. He also told me that I had to go with him back to New Orleans to help him deal with Finn and I was glad to, especially since he tried to kill me.

As soon as we returned to the compound, I called my brother and Hayley and asked them to come to the compound. I found them on the balcony in my bedroom and saw them looking through Jackson's journal.

"Hey!" I said, making them turn around to face me. "Thanks for meeting me here."

"No problem," Hayley said.

I raised my brows at them. "So, you guys ready to do this thing? Get hitched? Take the plunge? Slap on the old ball and chain?"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! It's not that simple," Jackson said with a smile. "It's a mystical Unification Ceremony, it's not like we can just go to Vegas."

"Right," I nodded my head as I looked at Hayley, who was embarrassed.

"Look, as long as the werewolves need those rings, they'll be under the witches' control," Jackson said as we all sat down. "Now, if we wanna change that, we gotta do this by the book. Literally. We have to find a shaman to perform both the ceremony and the Blood Gift ritual, trials to endure, devotion rituals--"

"Devotion rituals?" Hayley asked, overwhelmed.

"Wow," I muttered, nervously. "This all sounds very, um, intimate."

"Yeah, that's a marriage," Jackson smiled before addressing Hayley. "Look, I know we're kind of diving into this thing but I think it's cool. I'm looking forward to  the 'getting to know you' part. Because I want to know you."