Chapter 22 - Ashes to Ashes

Klaus, Dahlia and I were in the Pale River Orchard where she was preparing to link herself to Klaus, Hope sat in her car seat in the trunk bed while Klaus and I sat in front of her, leaning against the truck. My gaze darted between Dahlia and Klaus, I was worried. What if this didn't work? What if she finds out what we're up to? Would she kill us to get to our baby?

I shook my head. Stop it, NIna. Don't even think like that! This will work, it has to.

Noticing my anxiety, Klaus turned to me and placed his hand on top of mine and squeezed it, comfortingly. I looked at him and he nodded as he gave me a reassuring smile, I smiled back before my gaze returned to Dahlia.

"You're quiet," Dahlia commented as she looked at Klaus. "Are you having misgivings?"

"I was just looking for a polite way to ask, 'What the hell is taking so long?'" He told her.

"Well, we can begin now," she said as she gestured to the table. "Once we're linked, I will no longer have to sleep a hundred years again. Your concerns for my status will ease, and I'll finally be able to focus on Hope."

We all turned our heads to look at Hope, then Dahlia started to approach us.

"I will only need a single drop of her blood."

Both Klaus and I stood protectively in front of our daughter to prevent her from getting any closer.

"And then her power shall be mine also."

"What do you want to do about Freya?" I asked, making her look at me.

Freya was also with us, she was lying unconscious behind Hope. During their confrontation, Dahlia had forced Freya into falling under the sleep spell and brought her here.

"She served her purpose," Dahlia replied. "So tonight, at the moon's apex, I'll end her life and once our link is severed, the bond that I share with your daughter will become permanent."

I wasn't liking this one bit, but I trusted Klaus, so I hid my emotions under a mask of indifference, when in truth, I felt regret over Freya. She wasn't really that different from me, she had spent her entire life looking for the family she had been taken from, just like I had.

"Best get on with it, then," Klaus said before he pushed past her to go over to the table.

I sat back down and stayed with Hope while Dahlia followed Klaus. The two then held hands as Dahlia prepared to link them and I watch them with wary eyes.

"Medareno sometswar," the witch chanted. "Medareno sometswar."

When Hope started to fuss, I shifted closer and comforted her.

"It's okay, baby. Mama's here."

When the spell came to an end, both Dahlia and Klaus gasped. I quickly stood up, concerned and watched Klaus turn and take a few steps towards me.

"Klaus?" I rushed forward, putting my hand on either side of his face.

He looked at me and whispered, "I'm alright, love."

I let out a sigh of relief and let my hands fall to my sides as Dahlia laughed, happily.

"With your strength, I will never need to sleep for a century again."

Klaus grabbed my hand and placed the gold dagger in my palm, I looked up at him, unsure. He gave me a curt nod to communicate that he wanted me to do this before addressing Dahlia.

"Well, perhaps one more nap."

Dahlia had turned just in time to see me stab Klaus in the heart with the golden dagger, she tried to stop me using magic but was powerless as the dagger had her neutralized. I watched as they both fell to the ground, a hard expression on my face when I looked at Dahlia but one of guilt when I looked at Klaus.