Chapter 9

"What are you four chatting about?" I hear a gruff voice behind me. Turning around, I see Black Wolf and Golden Threat.

I shrug my shoulders, trying to act as innocent as possible. "Just trying to get to know each other." I reply casually, hoping he would buy it.

"It's time for all of you to start you second test: shooting." Threat's voice was deep like Wolf's, but it was quieter and more gentle.

I nod, standing up from my chair and dumping my dishes in the sink. Tommy, Flame, Blue, Mustang, and I all follow Wolf and Threat out the door.

The sandy wind slaps my face the minute I step outside and I can feel the heat of the sun on my face.

It was just Wolf and Threat taking us out this time, since according to the other Killjoys, they were the best shooters.

Wolf pulls out a bag filled with colorful guns. He grabs one with stickers all over it and throws the rest of them at us.

I catch mine, examining its unique design. It was light blue with white flames on it.

"Eyes on me." Wolf demands, shooting his gun high in the air to get our attention. Tommy and I flinch at the noise, earning an eye-roll from Wolf and a slight chuckle from Flame.

"Being a Killjoy requires precision and accuracy when using a gun." Wolf twirls the gun in his hand expertly. He then points the gun to the targets sitting a few feet away and pulls the trigger. Bullseye. I don't even think he was looking. I swallow nervously. I think okay would be harder than any day I was going to face here.

"Spiky hair, you're up first." Threat nods to Flame with narrowed eyes. I give Flame a 'thumbs up'. He returns it and faces the target, gun held firmly in his hand and pointed towards the target.

I flinch again as the gunshot goes off. All of us turn our attention to the target so see that Flame had just missed the bullseye by an inch or two.

Wolf grunts and shakes his head, causing his long, black hair to shake with it. "Not bad, kid. You've still got your skills."

Wow, a compliment from Wolf was very rare, according to Confetti, who had known him the longest, next to Threat. It was so odd imagining someone like Confetti Bomb being friends with two people as serious and rough as Black Wolf and Golden Threat. Maybe they weren't always that way.

My thoughts transition to Gerard. Flame had said he used to be a spy too? The information had caused me to become more curious than ever before. It was also making me more skeptical of him and the information Gerard had told me.

"Jenna?" I hear Flame's voice and feel his rough hand tap my arm. He looks at me expectantly, as if he had just asked a question and was waiting for a response. I look at him quizzically.

"You're up," he gestures to Wolf, who raises an eyebrow at me and giving me an impatient look.

"We haven't got all day, girl." Wolf spits onto his gun, polishing it with his shirt and looking back up at me.

My hands suddenly start to shake and I can barely keep a grip on the gun due to the sweat that has accumulated on my palms.

Approaching the firing zone, I take a deep breath, cleansing myself of any stress and anxiety.

Surprisingly, it worked. I squint my eyes and tentatively place my index finger on the trigger of the metal, light blue gun.

Gritting my teeth, I fire the gun, surprised by the force as I stumble backwards a bit. I gaze towards the target and my shoulders slump in disappointment. I had missed the target.

"You're gonna have to do better than that if you want to stay here." Wolf informs, with a slight hint of encouragement. I think he wanted me to stay, but he just didn't want to show it and ruin his reputation.

Focusing again on my target, I fire once more, and this time, I hit the middle area of the target. A huge improvement.

A few claps sound behind me from Flame, Tommy, Mustang, and Blue. Threat leans over to Wolf and whispers something inaudible into his ear. Wolf nods and gives me a look of approval.

The corners of my mouth turn up in a smile. I had a strong feeling Tommy and I would pass the tests and become a Killjoy in no time.

~

We had to leave the shooting range because of a sandstorm that had begun to sweep through the desert.

Now, everyone had taken shelter inside The Nest, chatting with one another here and there.

"Hey, Jenna." My heart melts at the sound of the voice. I turn my head to see Gerard approaching me. He sits next to me on the same windowsill that we had sat on the night before, except now we weren't alone, and it wasn't quiet. No one seemed to take notice of us though, to my pleasure.

I smile and wave as he sits. I decide not to bring up the information that Flame had told me about Gerard being a spy. I could ask Flame about it later, when we could go somewhere in private.

"I heard you improved on your shooting very well from your first time today from Wolf and Threat," Gerard speaks up, breaking the silence between us.

"Yeah, I really sucked in the beginning." I joke.

Gerard laughs and ruffles up my snowy hair. I lean my head on his shoulder and attended to imagine we were the only two people in the room.

Suddenly, something in the window catches my attention. It looks like a human, but I couldn't really make out the face. He was staring directly at me. All I could see was the sickly grin and something terrifyingly familiar... a skeleton glove.

I jump up from Gerard, causing everyone's attention to turn to me. I grab my chest and feel my heart about to burst out of me.

"Jenna, what's wrong?"  Gerard asks me, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder and giving me a concerned look.

"I-I saw something, someone actually, outside the window. Someone familiar..." I begin, trailing off.

"Who?" Kobra asks, looking at me expectedly.

"I think it was Electric Skeleton," I manage to get out. "He said he would be back."

A/N: Hey guys! I wrote Emo Imagines and y'all should check them out bc I love you :3 have a good weekend
~Alex